4 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Mageras

Jim Mageras
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:06 PM

I'm shopping for a new NLE pkg/DAW for uncompressed HD editing and trying to decide between Avid MC and FCP.

Is it true that you must have Avid's proprietary hardware (mojodx) for full 1920x1080 HD-SDI output to a calibrated monitor? Is MC not compatible with let's say an AJA card?

Are there any such problems w/ FCP?

Thanks, Jim

#2 Owen Parker

Owen Parker
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:36 AM

Jim

yes I believe you are correct that to get full HD playback to a client monitor you will need the MOJO box
and no Avid is not compatible with AJA or other cards.

<Are there any such problems w/ FCP?>

yes, you will need a full HD card, AJA, Blackmagic etc for FCP in the same way you need a Mojo for the Avid, they're just hardware interfaces. If your editing full HD (not HDV) you will need a box or card to digitise the rushes. If you get a post house to digitise you can make do without the Mojo but playback is only on the computer desktop. (same with FCP)

If you are cutting full HD then FCP is by far the cheapest solution but Avid is the most reliable and to my mind most efficient.

#3 Owen Parker

Owen Parker
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:43 AM

<I'm shopping for a new NLE pkg/DAW for uncompressed HD editing>

Sorry, I meant to ask, if you are looking for NLE and DAW I think you would be hard pressed to find
a better partnership than Avid and Pro Tools. There are a ton of others but let's put it this way
If the project goes to s*@t and you need to get it done you just pick up your media drives and head to
the nearest post house and plug them in. Much harder to do with FCP and a bespoke DAW.

And no, I don't work for Avid but I do make my living as an editor and once burnt, never again...

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:13 AM

Avid MC 3.0 with student discount is $295. . .
Dunno if you're a student or not, but hell, if you are go for it. . .
I run both Avid and FCP over here and I can tell you while FCP is what I'm more used to (coming from premier) AVID is what I really prefer to cut on- and I'm not even an editor (just do it for some clients who request it-- simple things on lower budgets).
Only issue I have had with AVID was mixed time-base editing, e.g. 60i nd 24p do not play well together afaik in the MC.

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:09 AM

There have been HP XW8200 workstations showing up on eBay recently for $500 or so. That's an Avid certified model if it has dual Xeon processors and a Quadro Pro video card in it which most 8200's have.

The one problem is the standard 8200 configuration boots Windows XP from a SATA drive but Avid requires an EIDE/IDE boot drive. I got lucky and bought two 8200's which were coming off corporate lease and still in HP warranty until spring 2009. HP Support sent me out a full set of OEM disks including the XP system disk so all I had to do was pop in a 160GB EIDE drive and reload the HP copy of XP onto it. If all this is Computer-Babble to you, you'll need a buddy to understands computers to help you out.

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Opal

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products