4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

May be shooting a project in a couple of months, and the client was looking at shooting it on a Sony EX1 or EX3. Coming from a film camera background, I would like to set the camera up like a film camera as far as Follow Focus/Matte box is concerned.

Being an ARRI guy, naturally I am attracted to their products, and today I discovered this:

Posted Image

The follow focus is the MFF-1 and I was wondering if anyone had used this on an EX1 or EX3? And in general, since I have not had a chance to use either camera yet, how does the manual focus work on these cameras? Is it the servo manual focus, which is kind of mushy, or is it a direct mechanical manual focus where you can repeatedly hit your marks?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Tim

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:18 PM

The EX1 has really nice direct mechanical-gear focus, zoom and aperture rings on it. Comparable to a decent ENG zoom lens. So you will have no problems there. It was about time someone sold a smaller "toy cam" with a real-gear lens on it.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 29 November 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Abel Cine Tech consulted with Arri on the design of these new accessories. I made an informational video on the new Arri MMB-1 and MFF-1 and their use specifically on the EX1. Here's the link to the page on our website.

http://www.abelcine....p...9&Itemid=34

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

You handsome devil you. Very cool demo videos. Mounted on the EX1, it really is a compact package.

And like a typical customer, always wanting more, any chance of doing a video with the ARRI MFF-1 on the HVX-200?

Not sure how well a follow focus would work on that camera (HVX-200) as it does not have a "real" mechanical manual focus ring. Have you tried the HVX with the MFF-1?

Best,
-Tim

#5 Michael Belanger

Michael Belanger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Long Beach, CA

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

The focus ring on the EX cameras are actually servo driven. The ring slides forward or back to change operation modes. In the front position it's the normal mushy "focus-by-wire" feel, but in the rear position, the ring is stopped at each end and the servo responds instantly to ring changes, so it feels as if it's fully mechanical.

I've not yet used a follow focus on the camera but I'm betting it will behave quite well and focus should be repeatable.

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider