#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

I originally posted this Q in HDV, Canon thread. It's probably more appropriate here since I'm asking about a telecine-like application. Sorry about the double post. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Hypothetically speaking, if I put a Canon D5 MII in my scan rig and ran the film head at synced, 30 fps, and captured the images in the D5's 1920X video, could I simply realign the footage in Premiere or AE to run at 24 fps? The idea being, get around the 30/24 difference by simply running the film at 30 fps and slowing it to 24 fps in post. That would allow me to use one camera for both mid-res workprint and high-res, frame scans.

Crazy or possible?

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

If you have individual frames i.e. a series of DPX files or similar you can assign the frame rate in most modern apps like AE Shake DF etc. and most NLE apps as well.

-Rob-

#3 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

Thanks, Robert.

It's the only DSLR that has a CMOS tall enough to get a 4K wide image from a 1.2:1, anamorphic, 35mm image. My Kodak DSLR was okay for my techniscope frames since they are much wider than tall. But I can't use it to capture anamorphic frames and keep the width at 4K. For all the merit the D90 has (24fps half HD video) it isn't tall enough to get the whole anamorphic frame at 4K. The 5D MkII costs a lot more than the D90. But, they rate it at half again more cycles on the shutter. So it does likely have better longevity over the D90. And, If I can mange film head speed, the 30p, full HD can be busted down to 24fps in AE and represent the film without 23.976, pull-down hassles.

It's all academic since I can't buy anything, now. I just wanted to get some answers ironed out. Thanks, again.

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

Paul, why don't you instead look into snaggin a used cine scanner like JSB did?

I was surprised to see that you can actually get a scanner affordably that is designed for mo-pic. use.

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Opal

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

FJS International, LLC