7 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Murray

Tony Murray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Producer

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

From what I understand the GL1 does not have manual audio controls. If I decide to use an external (shotgun or Omni) how will I control the audio levels?

The GL1 does not have the ability to display color bars, is there another camera in the same price range that can display color bars, and has manual audio controls?

I will be shooting adult film.

How about zebra stripes. Does the GL1 have the abality to display them?

Please give me some advise as to another camera in the same price category that has the above mentioned featutres.

Thanks...

#2 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

I used GL1's for classes and I could of sworn it did have manual audio controls as well as an audio monitor on the LCD. Check the manual to make sure it does, you probably have to be in complete manual mode in order to access it.

If it doesn't, you'll need a mixer. Any kind will do if you have a mic that has XLR connections. You'll have to output to analog (3.5mm) with a XLR to 3.5mm adapter since the GL1 doesn't have XLR inputs (unless you get the attachment that adds them). Here's a decent low budget mixer that has the audio levels right on it: http://www.bhphotovi...ield_Mixer.html.

And I know for a fact that the GL1 has Zebra striping, you can turn it on as well as set the Zebra level in the Camera Setup menu.

If you want another camera though, and with what you're going to be shooting, go for a Panasonic DVX-100, lightweight when used in handheld, has a large LCD as well as two Phantom powered XLR inputs right on it.

#3 Tony Murray

Tony Murray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Producer

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

I used GL1's for classes and I could of sworn it did have manual audio controls as well as an audio monitor on the LCD. Check the manual to make sure it does, you probably have to be in complete manual mode in order to access it.

If it doesn't, you'll need a mixer. Any kind will do if you have a mic that has XLR connections. You'll have to output to analog (3.5mm) with a XLR to 3.5mm adapter since the GL1 doesn't have XLR inputs (unless you get the attachment that adds them). Here's a decent low budget mixer that has the audio levels right on it: http://www.bhphotovi...ield_Mixer.html.

And I know for a fact that the GL1 has Zebra striping, you can turn it on as well as set the Zebra level in the Camera Setup menu.

If you want another camera though, and with what you're going to be shooting, go for a Panasonic DVX-100, lightweight when used in handheld, has a large LCD as well as two Phantom powered XLR inputs right on it.

Thanks! I have been doing some research on the DVX-100 /a/b and it seems like a good fit for what I need. The only thing is the price is a little higher.

I guess I'll try and get the extra $$.

#4 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

You can get really good package deals off of eBay with extra 6hr. batteries and wide angle lenses for around $1,500-2,000. You'll eventually save money when you don't have to buy the mixer and have the center of gravity of the camera screwed around with making it easier to handhold.

#5 Tony Murray

Tony Murray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Producer

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

You can get really good package deals off of eBay with extra 6hr. batteries and wide angle lenses for around $1,500-2,000. You'll eventually save money when you don't have to buy the mixer and have the center of gravity of the camera screwed around with making it easier to handhold.

Thanks for the advice. Well unfortunately it looks like I will need to purchase a used gl1 for the time being..

Are there any questions that I should ask the seller about the camera such as, "how many hours are on the camera"?

A while back I saw a small mixer that can attach to the camera that has the XLR inputs and phantom power (I think). Does anyone know the name of this unit or something similar?

#6 Ralph Keyser

Ralph Keyser
  • Sustaining Members
  • 120 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

The original DVX-100 would do a fine job for you as well (not just the A/B models). You might also consider the Canon XL-1 or Sony PD150. These would all be used, of course, but they'll give you good pictures and manual audio controls.

More valuable than color bars in my opinion is to shoot a standard color chart and a grey scale chart for each major lighting setup.

You can ask questions about the number of hours on the camera, but there's not any way to verify that information on cameras of this level. Another approach would be to take a look at the camera and look for general wear and tear on the body as an indication of how much it was used and how it was treated. You should also check the lens carefully. All in all, I'd go with a source that I felt confident in as opposed to trying to get the absolute best deal on a used camera.

The box you mentioned sounds like one of the Beachtek units. More of an XLR adapter than a mixer though.

#7 Tony Murray

Tony Murray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Producer

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

The box you mentioned sounds like one of the Beachtek units. More of an XLR adapter than a mixer though.

How will I be able to adjust the audio levels? Do these XLR adapters have the capabilities or do I need a mixer to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance?

#8 Tony Murray

Tony Murray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Producer

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

How will I be able to adjust the audio levels? Do these XLR adapters have the capabilities or do I need a mixer to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance?

Or a more appropriate question would be. Where would I be able to see a DB scale?

Edited by Tony Murray, 11 December 2008 - 10:51 PM.

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

CineLab

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC