25 fps position?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ole Dost

Ole Dost
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

Dear friends,
How looks the 25 fps position on the heavy duty - variable speed motor of the Eclair ACL? I shot some important interview footage (sync sound), but I did not control wether the N-position ("normal") was 24 fps or 25 fps. I had been in use for european TV-work, so it should have been 25 fps when I bought it. But it was travelling to the US for servicing and now I want to find out, if someone put it on 24fps over there... I need this information to get the right Telecine frame rate for √°dding the sync sound real sync....
Thank you!
Regards,
Ole

#2 Evan Ferrario

Evan Ferrario
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

on my acl motor, towards the lens is 24, towards the back of the camera is 25fps. Did the marking rub off?

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

Try looking at a neon light through the viewfinder, running without film. There in Germany, the neon will flash 100 times per second, once on each half cycle of the 50 Hz power. If the camera is at 25 fps, you should see roughly two blinks worth in the finder, the other two going to the aperture, for each frame. That should appear as a constant light level. If it's at 24 fps, you should see some variation. In fact, by closing down to a small shutter angle and looking through the aperture, that variation would be increased.

-- J.S.

#4 Boris Belay

Boris Belay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Brussels, Belgium

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

Yes, on top of the variable speed motor is a switch that can be moved forward (24 ips) or back (25 ips), and corresponds to the N (Normal) position of the speed dial. Perhaps your motor was repainted and those engravings are not visible anymore.

Best, B

on my acl motor, towards the lens is 24, towards the back of the camera is 25fps. Did the marking rub off?

#5 Ole Dost

Ole Dost
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

Thank you for your replies! I can see the 24 towards the lens and the 25 towards the back. But what is the mark of the switch that shows which fps rate is activatet? Is it the engraved point?
Thank you!

#6 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

Thank you for your replies! I can see the 24 towards the lens and the 25 towards the back. But what is the mark of the switch that shows which fps rate is activatet? Is it the engraved point?
Thank you!

Ole,

The letter "N" should be by the mark. At least on mine that's is how it is set up.
Tom

#7 Ole Dost

Ole Dost
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

Ole,

The letter "N" should be by the mark. At least on mine that's is how it is set up.
Tom

Thank you! The letter N is on the white mark. But on the switch, that decides between 25 fps and 24 fps, theres an engraved dot (perhapes it has been white -it is not anymore on mine) -is this white dot the deciding mark or the line, that is also on the switch (perhapes this line is only for pushing the switch...)?
Thank you!

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Opal

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc