#1 Robert Tagliaferri

Robert Tagliaferri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hello,

I am shooting a Ryerson University thesis film in January. They've got a little more money than the average student film, and the director has very specific tastes about how it should look.

I am having trouble figuring out how to achieve a certain effect that the director is looking for, and I'm not sure where to start. He basically wants to re-create the pattern of light you get when light shines through a chandelier or crystal; varying spots and lines of hard intense light. I could just shine light through a chandelier but I'm afraid I won't have enough control.

The scene is a ballerina dance in a large room with 3 windows. I'm thinking 4ks outside the windows, 2x 1.2ks though a 12by grid cloth and a flathead80 as fill.

Anyway, he wants the sunlight to have that crystal pattern on the floor. Any ideas on what I could hang in front of the light? I don't know much about theatre lighting but I bet there is something that is used for this effect.

One idea was to use a tray of water with broken mirrors in it, shining a light into the tray, and using mirror boards to direct the light through the window. However, this is sort of unwieldy and I'm not sure it would work.

Any ideas??

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

You would think that you'd have to recreate the aspect of the light being split up into its different color wavelengths. Short of using actual prisms for that, I suppose strips of colored gel may help. But honestly, the director better explain exactly what he wants. The best thing would be to set-up a light shining through some hanging crystals as a basis for discussion. Does he want dozens of little spots in the room? Does he want them to move and dance around? Does he want rainbow diffraction patterns?

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:25 AM

You can get something very similar by covering a mirror in clear packing tape and smashing it and bouncing the light off of it. You might try it with a small mirror and see if you like it. You can even bend the mirror to mess with the pattern it makes, to some degree. Just don't cut yourself.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:26 AM

I forgot to mention something. You can get a pattern similar to the broken mirror but more subtle. You just superglue bits of broken clear glass to an unbroken mirror.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:14 AM

I also always gaff tape the poop out of the back of the mirror before smashing it then packing tape on the front. never tried the glue thing, though; good call on that might play 'round with it when I get a chance.

#6 Robert Tagliaferri

Robert Tagliaferri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:12 PM

I think the broken glass idea might work perfectly, I'm going to test that. I wonder if Whites has any broken mirror boards they'd donate :P

On a side note- I just found out that Gordon Pinsent is going to be starring in the film :o

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Glidecam