#1 Justin Simpson

Justin Simpson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

I'll be shooting a 35 project soon and I just wanted some advice with reflections before I do some tests. The shot is a man is holding a Christmas tree ornament and there's a reflection of a woman standing behind him in it. Could I do this in camera? Or have to key it some how? I don't know where to start. Any advice would be much appreciated.

-Justin

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

I'll be shooting a 35 project soon and I just wanted some advice with reflections before I do some tests. The shot is a man is holding a Christmas tree ornament and there's a reflection of a woman standing behind him in it. Could I do this in camera? Or have to key it some how? I don't know where to start. Any advice would be much appreciated.

-Justin

Here's the trick when shooting a reflection in a perfect globe -- no matter what you do, the camera is always reflected dead-center of the globe. If a person is reflected dead-center, then they are blocking the camera lens! So first deal with that fact.

Generally you would use a telephoto lens so that the camera can be far away, across the room hopefully, and then you'd disguise the camera somehow, maybe in a black doorframe or something.

The composition would probably be: the face of the person holding the globe in the foreground to one side, the person in the background to the other side of his shoulder, and the camera (disguised) actually looking over the shoulder of the background person, probably on a super long lens. I did some similar shots for a movie using a 300mm lens on the camera -- and tight on the globe, it looked like a fish-eye shot, which is odd.

It's better to do it in-camera if you can, save post efx work as an emergency option. It would probably be easier, even if you had to do it in post, to shoot the real reflection and just deal with painting out the visible camera in the globe rather than deal with mapping a reflection plate over a CGI sphere, etc.

#3 Justin Simpson

Justin Simpson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

That is some good advice, thank you very much.

-Justin

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Visual Products