#1 Evan Mabry

Evan Mabry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:40 AM

Dear Editor,

I am compiling a list of tips from professional editors for reference in a bit of research I'm doing on the subject of gaining experience and expanding one's resume in the editing field.

I would like to ask a few questions, if you would be so kind as to address them here.

-How do you approach applying for a job as a film editor?

-In your experience, what is the strongest selling point an editor can use in their resume?

-A Demo reel is used by cinematographers to showcase their talents. How does an editor effectively showcase their talent in a nutshell, as opposed to referring to an entire film?

-What are some of your personal "rules of editing" that you may have learned the hard way?

-What types of practice/drills do you recommend for a newcomer to editing who is looking to improve their storytelling ability (as it pertains to editing)?

-What are your criteria for a production that you would like to be a part of? or, what are some things you look for that may dissuade you from signing on for a project?

-What are some techniques that you admire in other editor's work?

-An editor has to work with what he is given. what must make your checklist of footage taken in order for you to do your job effectively ( how much coverage, what/how many angles, etc.)

thank you in advance for your insightful answers!

#2 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

You have to be "in", in discussion. I make myself heard of.

That a producer saught after her/him, not the other way round

Display uncut footage and same edited

You have to be able to order reshoots. I decide on everything pertaining to the editing of a movie, not only parts.

Surely traditional film and magnetic film handling and editing, be it in an American Moviola or a European editing table cutting room

Very simple: the production has to be open to an editor, i. e. encounter her/him with some gratitude for the engagement. All too often I have felt that the editing is seen as not more than a technical stage. Then the invitation to participate in a production from script on. Finally the paying.

Almost always how someone introduces pace, rhythm, to images and sounds, how tension is built up, and the art of omittance.

That question cannot be answered in a general way. Solutions derive mostly from the content. Footage lists are only organizational items, have to do with appearance, not with meaning. Who wants to convey what and how, is the question for me.

Edited by Simon Wyss, 11 December 2008 - 07:17 AM.

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Glidecam

Opal

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport