#1 Billy Crane

Billy Crane

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

Really confused about highlights. I am going for an effect of sunlight hitting side of a face from window. I want it to be hot but not white. I'm shooting film and usually over-expose my base rating at 1/3 over. Shooting on stocks 250, 200, and 500 (vision 3). My concern is I don't know how many stops to go over to retrieve that affect. I was thinking overexposing my sunlight by 2 1/2 and having my fill side 2 stops under middle grey. Though with a white face thats putting me at 3 1/2 stops over and I'm worried that will lose detail in my image.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

Really confused about highlights. I am going for an effect of sunlight hitting side of a face from window. I want it to be hot but not white. I'm shooting film and usually over-expose my base rating at 1/3 over. Shooting on stocks 250, 200, and 500 (vision 3). My concern is I don't know how many stops to go over to retrieve that affect. I was thinking overexposing my sunlight by 2 1/2 and having my fill side 2 stops under middle grey. Though with a white face thats putting me at 3 1/2 stops over and I'm worried that will lose detail in my image.

Well, the best thing before any production is to shoot a simple over and under test so you know exactly when a face falls to black or burns out to white, but given that you have some leeway in timing to adjust the affect, it's best to not get too extreme if you are trying to hold detail.

However, a caucasian face will generally hold some detail at 2.5-stops overexposed on color neg film, though I suppose a really pale face would be pushing it. But I think you'd be better off overexposing the face by only 2 stops (based on an incident reading, so probably 3 stops over a spot meter reading of the face) if you just want it to look hot but hold some texture.

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc