#1 Klaus Jaritz

Klaus Jaritz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

The original of the clips on my site is on AVI. Now I got some requests from film libraries - but they want HD format. Question: has anyone experience of ?upgrading? from AVI to HD? I guess it must be pretty bad - but how bad is it?
Thanks for replies.
Klaus
www.oz-greetings.com.au

#2 Stuart Page

Stuart Page
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

The original of the clips on my site is on AVI. Now I got some requests from film libraries - but they want HD format. Question: has anyone experience of ?upgrading? from AVI to HD? I guess it must be pretty bad - but how bad is it?

Depends how big (pixel dimensions) your clips are. They seem to be 4:3 origin, then squashed to square for display on the site. Remember HD is 16:9 ratio, so your clips will be displayed with black bars down the sides. From my experience up-res can look quite bad unless you have high quality originals (i.e. not too compressed). Were they shot on film originally? Might be worth getting the telecine done again to HD format. Shouldn't cost too much as they're quite short clips, and must be quite popular? Great iconic Ozzie images :-)
Picture_4.jpg

#3 Klaus Jaritz

Klaus Jaritz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

Depends how big (pixel dimensions) your clips are. They seem to be 4:3 origin, then squashed to square for display on the site. Remember HD is 16:9 ratio, so your clips will be displayed with black bars down the sides. From my experience up-res can look quite bad unless you have high quality originals (i.e. not too compressed). Were they shot on film originally? Might be worth getting the telecine done again to HD format. Shouldn't cost too much as they're quite short clips, and must be quite popular? Great iconic Ozzie images :-)
Picture_4.jpg

++++++++++++++
Thanks for your reply and detailed pictorial explanation. Yes, the clips were shot originally on 16mm film. Unfortunately, after transfer to AVI, I lost the negative.
Cheers - Klaus

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies