Tyler Hisel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • P.A.
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:49 AM

Here is an question I am currently confronting.

How much light can I expect from a 4 foot 4 bank of Kino Flos. I am currently gearing up for my next short and will be acquiring all my lighting on my own. I love the look I've had with Kinos in the past (when I could afford a gaffer, not this time!) but am trying to discern how many banks I truly need.

I am lighting an apartment daytime interior. Nothing fancy. Imagine a 20 x 20 space with light colored walls.

With a 4' 4 bank am I blasting a ton of light or should I consider another bank to combine as my key?

What's my tungsten equivalent as far as light intensity. (comparable to a 1k? 650?)

Thanks guys. You're saving me an extra rental day to discover the answer to my question. I appreciate any help!

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:36 AM

I am lighting an apartment daytime interior. Nothing fancy. Imagine a 20 x 20 space with light colored walls.

With a 4' 4 bank am I blasting a ton of light or should I consider another bank to combine as my key?

What's my tungsten equivalent as far as light intensity. (comparable to a 1k? 650?)

If you're using the Kinos to augment natural daylight they should get you through any medium or closeup shots. Although I don't know the precise rule of thumb, I'd guess the 1K equivalency shouldn't be far off. I'd recommend getting a fixture with a dimmer. (I believe the Diva has that.)

#3 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:16 AM

Photo metrics for each Kino fixture are on their website under each fixtures page.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

Often one covers the 4' 4-bank Kino from the outside doors with some 216 or other diffusion to further soften the light. It also helps keep the light from getting too sharp when you switch to fewer tubes. So when you need more exposure, you can pull the diffusion and use all four tubes, and for closer shots, you add the diffusion and if necessary use fewer tubes.

Generally a 4' 4-bank Kino would be bright enough to provide a key light in a small room. It's not really bright enough to put outside a daytime window and provide a big window light effect though. It could augment natural window light though from inside the room.

#5 Tyler Hisel

Tyler Hisel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • P.A.
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

Thanks fellas. You've been a tremendous help.

I'll probably end up getting 2 4-banks (1 to serve as my key, 1 to throw some light into the background).

You guys hit it right on the head. I plan on using the Kinos to augment the natural daylight I'll have from 3 windows in the apartment. The scene will require these windows to be in frame a decent amount, so I'll ND them down.

I've been studying up on the fantastic Mr. Roger Deakins' work and have learned of his frequent use of a Muslin as a bounced fill. Apparently he's achieved many of his images without a fill and only a draped piece of Muslin in its place.

So currently, that is my planned approach: 4-bank Kino as a key, Muslin bounce as a fill, maybe a CTB'd 300 as a kicker.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

CineTape