#1 Adam Chilton

Adam Chilton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

I've seen a lot of these new consumer camcorders, and at first glance, they look really impressive. Right now I'm looking at the Panasonic HDC-SD9, a small consumer 3CCD cam, which says it has "Full HD 1920 x 1080p resolution at 24fps" with "520K x 3 [16:9] effective pixels." Am I reading correctly? - Full HD? 1080p?? is there a catch?

I've been interested in buying a Canon GL2 for a while now, and it only has 380K effective pixels but is on a slightly bigger CCD, and also is definitly not HD, plus a lot bulkier and records to tape for a lot higher of a price.

And some of these cameras have up to 30X optical zooms on them. How is that possible?

So what's the deal? :blink:

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

I think the Panasonic exports the progressive as interlaced and it's sewn back togther on the computer. Someone else could give you a better answer than me.

Personally I'd go for the camera with HD, but not the SD9. AVCHD has yet to catch up to the quality of HDV. Why not wait a while ans see what the manufacturers offer in the consumer HD sector for 2009.

#3 James Martin

James Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Economies of scale, moore's law etc etc...

But if you're expecting the camera to compete with a Panavision Genesis... it won't happen.

Also, read it again - 520,000 x 3 pixels?

1920x1080 requires 2 million pixels (roughly) of each colour - that's 6,000,000 altogether.

That camera has only 1.5 million - even if they were RGB photosites (which they aren't - no such thing) - so it has some SERIOUS pixel-shifting and up-rezzing...

#4 Rodrigo Pio

Rodrigo Pio

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

I think the Panasonic exports the progressive as interlaced and it's sewn back togther on the computer. Someone else could give you a better answer than me.

Personally I'd go for the camera with HD, but not the SD9. AVCHD has yet to catch up to the quality of HDV. Why not wait a while ans see what the manufacturers offer in the consumer HD sector for 2009.

Hey Matthew

I was drawn into the same question, and after checking the consumer camcorders I've found the HDC-HS300 very interesting for a low-budget equipment, along with steady, DOF adapter and a shoulder mount. What do you think? Or should I spend a few more bucks in, let's say, a FX7 without the DOF adapter?

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

CineTape

Visual Products

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Opal

Tai Audio