#1 Adam Chilton

Adam Chilton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

I've seen a lot of these new consumer camcorders, and at first glance, they look really impressive. Right now I'm looking at the Panasonic HDC-SD9, a small consumer 3CCD cam, which says it has "Full HD 1920 x 1080p resolution at 24fps" with "520K x 3 [16:9] effective pixels." Am I reading correctly? - Full HD? 1080p?? is there a catch?

I've been interested in buying a Canon GL2 for a while now, and it only has 380K effective pixels but is on a slightly bigger CCD, and also is definitly not HD, plus a lot bulkier and records to tape for a lot higher of a price.

And some of these cameras have up to 30X optical zooms on them. How is that possible?

So what's the deal? :blink:

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

I think the Panasonic exports the progressive as interlaced and it's sewn back togther on the computer. Someone else could give you a better answer than me.

Personally I'd go for the camera with HD, but not the SD9. AVCHD has yet to catch up to the quality of HDV. Why not wait a while ans see what the manufacturers offer in the consumer HD sector for 2009.

#3 James Martin

James Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Economies of scale, moore's law etc etc...

But if you're expecting the camera to compete with a Panavision Genesis... it won't happen.

Also, read it again - 520,000 x 3 pixels?

1920x1080 requires 2 million pixels (roughly) of each colour - that's 6,000,000 altogether.

That camera has only 1.5 million - even if they were RGB photosites (which they aren't - no such thing) - so it has some SERIOUS pixel-shifting and up-rezzing...

#4 Rodrigo Pio

Rodrigo Pio

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

I think the Panasonic exports the progressive as interlaced and it's sewn back togther on the computer. Someone else could give you a better answer than me.

Personally I'd go for the camera with HD, but not the SD9. AVCHD has yet to catch up to the quality of HDV. Why not wait a while ans see what the manufacturers offer in the consumer HD sector for 2009.

Hey Matthew

I was drawn into the same question, and after checking the consumer camcorders I've found the HDC-HS300 very interesting for a low-budget equipment, along with steady, DOF adapter and a shoulder mount. What do you think? Or should I spend a few more bucks in, let's say, a FX7 without the DOF adapter?

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam