leonora fishbein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Producer

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

Hi,

Need help here. I need to upload raw HD footage to the web so that my editor overseas can access it. Do you know if there is a quicker way than FTP to do this? Any suggestions? Please help I have to upload lots of footage on a constant basis.

Your advice would be most appreciated

Leonora :blink:

Edited by leonora fishbein, 15 December 2008 - 11:21 PM.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

FTP and your ISP will limit the speed of your upload/download. I know it sucks. What of the editor working from offline clips and then relinking to the full rez later on based on an EDL?

#3 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

Rent a line or pay to use someone elses.

Really depends what you mean by raw HD footage. I can send DVCPro footage through my net. But HDCAMSR and HD-SDI really needs some kind of business line.

If you send it through your own connection, setup a software sever (sambar or something) and give your editor something like internet download manager where it gives him the opportunity to pause and resume downloads even when they start to hang. There is nothing worse than sending a huge file, getting to the end and finding out it's not sending anymore. Uploads on basic connections have a habbit of doing this.

Not sure where you are from but IBF in covent garden (UK, london) offer this service.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith, 16 December 2008 - 08:57 AM.

#4 leonora fishbein

leonora fishbein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Producer

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Rent a line or pay to use someone elses.

Really depends what you mean by raw HD footage. I can send DVCPro footage through my net. But HDCAMSR and HD-SDI really needs some kind of business line.

If you send it through your own connection, setup a software sever (sambar or something) and give your editor something like internet download manager where it gives him the opportunity to pause and resume downloads even when they start to hang. There is nothing worse than sending a huge file, getting to the end and finding out it's not sending anymore. Uploads on basic connections have a habbit of doing this.

Not sure where you are from but IBF in covent garden (UK, london) offer this service.

When you say rent a line or pay to use someone elses, do you mean get a dedicated server? I am in the US, but our editors are spread out nationally and internationally.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:11 AM

http://www.onestopcl...cess-/9_25.html
something like that for a dedicated line.

#6 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

As most of the big studios want to control and transmit their films to respective cinemas across the world is it feasible to say that these types of companies will be the next big financial powerhouses in our industry?!

#7 leonora fishbein

leonora fishbein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Producer

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

http://www.onestopcl...cess-/9_25.html
something like that for a dedicated line.

Thanks so much! I checked out the site and then had another idea. I am in Florida and we have Verizon. There is a new high speed connection with a 50mps download rate and up to 20 mbps upload. That could be better.. so should I estimate that for a 2gig file that I need to upload that it would take about 2 minutes to upload? Can it be that easy? Or does the FTP slow me down and I have to find another solution?

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

The biggest bottlenecks won't be FTP but drive read/write time and the like. I am not skilled enough in the mathmatics of upload off hand. Give Verizon a call, I'm sure they've someone there to help you out.
Of course, you still need a place to store these files...
What might be best would be to buy a server @ your house for remote dial ins. You can build these pretty cheaply, and whomever you allow can just dial into it. I'm not 100% skilled on that, but had looked into it here and again. most important think you need for it is a static IP address.

#9 leonora fishbein

leonora fishbein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Producer

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:50 PM

The biggest bottlenecks won't be FTP but drive read/write time and the like. I am not skilled enough in the mathmatics of upload off hand. Give Verizon a call, I'm sure they've someone there to help you out.
Of course, you still need a place to store these files...
What might be best would be to buy a server @ your house for remote dial ins. You can build these pretty cheaply, and whomever you allow can just dial into it. I'm not 100% skilled on that, but had looked into it here and again. most important think you need for it is a static IP address.

wow! :blink:

#10 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

When you say rent a line or pay to use someone elses, do you mean get a dedicated server? I am in the US, but our editors are spread out nationally and internationally.

No I mean the line the data is being sent through. It's bandwidth that's the real bottleneck not server space.

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport