#1 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

When the dog chews up your fiberglass tape and the 2nd drops the cinetape into the honeybucket...

http://www.tomchuk.c...f_hfd/index.php

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:01 AM

That's pretty neat. I bet it's plenty accurate once you get the hang of switching eyes back and forth a few times to prevent moving between lining up and reading the distance.

#3 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

I use a little printout with my Rollei-35 for fun, it's incredibly accurate.

Might be a bit challenging for grabbing focus marks on the fly though. Plus it would look a little strange on set. :)

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

I use a little printout with my Rollei-35 for fun, it's incredibly accurate.

Might be a bit challenging for grabbing focus marks on the fly though. Plus it would look a little strange on set. :)

Those rolleis are pretty cool little cameras. Emphasis on little. I wish they would have come out with a slightly taller version with a rangefinder though.

#5 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:00 AM

Those rolleis are pretty cool little cameras. Emphasis on little. I wish they would have come out with a slightly taller version with a rangefinder though.

Hi Chris,
have you looked at the Voigtlaender Bessa? Some might say it's a Leica rip, but these are neat little cameras too. And they do have rangefinder. And there is a really nice 21mm lens available!

Cheers, Dave

#6 jake harris

jake harris
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:04 AM

Voigtlaender Bessa?

nice with the wide, not really any focusing issues with that. On the distance calculating have you guys come across 'Optics & Focus for cam assts'? Some good trig style methods in there using eyelevel etc...worth a look perhaps, very Zen.

#7 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hi Chris,
have you looked at the Voigtlaender Bessa? Some might say it's a Leica rip, but these are neat little cameras too. And they do have rangefinder. And there is a really nice 21mm lens available!

Cheers, Dave

Voigtlander/Cosina does have some nice lenses, it's unfortunate that they've fallen (wisely, from a marketing standpoint) into the commemorative "50 Jahre" this and "100-Jahre" that nonsense for their cameras. Apparently collectors with their bottomless bags of cash are a better market than actual photographers. May as well just get a Leica!

#8 James Martin

James Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

Well, with a title like "Pull focus with this!" I expected this to be an announcement regarding the RED EPIC 617 camera.

Is it me being stupid or is that going to be hard focusing on anything that moves? Or trying to get enough light indoors for it?

#9 Dan Diaconu M

Dan Diaconu M
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:47 PM

Is it me being stupid or is that going to be hard focusing on anything that moves?

Pisacake. Once you shoot something, it doesn't move no mo so you can focus all you like.

#10 Tom Mitchell

Tom Mitchell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • uk, Norwich

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

Well, with a title like "Pull focus with this!" I expected this to be an announcement regarding the RED EPIC 617 camera.

Is it me being stupid or is that going to be hard focusing on anything that moves? Or trying to get enough light indoors for it?

Though your right it could be a problem, I think that it is already being solved. There are alot more tools on the market for Focus pulling where a human is still needed to make a choice where a machine can't but you can get some pritty good touch screen point and focus touch screens and laser range finders for fast cars etc (i saw some great tools at the BSC show this year). where you have extreme shallow DOF this would be useful or a necessary. Though the question becomes how shallow is too shallow?

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Opal

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC