3 replies to this topic

#1 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:56 PM

... would like some advice on the basic approach. I've shot a couple videos for hip hop artist and pop artist where there is not band playing behind the singers. But in this video, we are shooting on a stage with a metal band.

I'm wondering the best approach to this. Should they fully play the song all the way through each take? And should we still play the song off a computer or CD player really f#*king loud so they can hear above their instruments? Or do they mimic the playing of the instruments the best they can and listen to the music on the CD? Any information would help.

Thank You.

Jase

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

Why not just keep the instruments unplugged? I mean for drums it might be an issue, but i'm sure "mimicking" drumming would look a bit silly.
As for playing it all the way through-- depends on budget/format.
If you could afford it multi camera-multi take of the whole song would be nice I'm sure.
If you can't afford it, single camera it the whole way through a few times (as a master/closeup) and go in for closes on all the "riffs" etc.
Just my rough thoughts.

#3 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

They play their own instruments (unplugged) along with a track. And yes, the drums are loud, but not as loud as the playback.
Whether or not you shoot the whole thing through from beginning to end depends on the shots you need. But unless you want a one'r, there isn't much reason to do this more than a couple times for wide shots and possibly the singers single.

#4 Hunter Hampton

Hunter Hampton
  • Sustaining Members
  • 170 posts
  • Director

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

I like to let them all have their amps on, but I run the song track through them instead of having their instruments plugged in. - makes the song extremely loud which can help them get into it.- also all of the little lights and levels are seen in sync with the music.

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Opal

Glidecam

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

The Slider

FJS International, LLC