#1 Lucas Arreguin

Lucas Arreguin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

I'm shooting a 16mm film and we have an interrogation scene where we re doing a 360 dolly shot. There are two agents and a man that gets questioned and hit. The dolly will be circling the agents and the victim the entire scene. I'm looking for films to watch that will help me recreate this scene. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

I'm shooting a 16mm film and we have an interrogation scene where we re doing a 360 dolly shot. There are two agents and a man that gets questioned and hit. The dolly will be circling the agents and the victim the entire scene. I'm looking for films to watch that will help me recreate this scene. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.

Unless your parents were named Mr. & Mrs. Luke and they gave you the name "Cool Hand"... I'm going to take a guess that this is not your real name. Please go to My Controls and edit your Display Name into a real first and last name as per the forum rules, thanks.

There are many movies with 360 degree shots -- I believe a restaurant scene near the end of "Hannah and Her Sisters" has one you may want to take a look at.

#3 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:19 AM

You could also look at just about anything Michael Ballhaus shot, 360 moves are practically his trademark.

#4 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

There are several ways to approach the 360 style of dialog. Screen direction always gets screwed up and it is really tough to get key dialog on camera. There are several tricks a use. I will put two cameras on the dolly. Maybe 20 degrees apart. They are close enough together so that they don?t get in each others shots. But the timing is off enough to insure you get correct6 screen direction and key lines. With single camera I try to change the start mark of the dolly for every take so you have a variety of footage. Changing the direction of the camera can also give you the variety you need. You can also take key dialog lines and repeat them to ensure they are caught on camera. Because screen direction is becoming less and less important these days you can if you desire to just ignore it.

#5 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

There's also that rooftop scene from "The Departed" you might want to view.

#6 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

If this is technically going to be a problem for you, I would suggest just thinking about another way to emote the same action/tension.

I bet you can come up with a much better way than just spinning the camera 360 around the scene.

That's a style you're just copying, and I KNOW you can do better.

#7 Evan Andrew John Prosofsky

Evan Andrew John Prosofsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hi!

I am somewhat shocked no one has mentioned Wally Pfister's beautiful photography in 'The Dark Knight'. There must four or five times the camera does full 360 stuff around the talent. Maybe a little bit too cheesy and unnecessary, but they do add a certain dramatic element and really give those scenes a punch. Check them out!

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Opal

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

CineLab

Ritter Battery