• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student
  • Boston, MA

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hi all

Just joined the community as I have a pressing question:

Has anyone shot on print or internegative stock before? I imagine it to be a wonderful world of ridiculously low rating, extreme high contrast, like shooting high con film, but with the added pleasure of awesome color saturation.

BUT
I hear that the pitch on print stocks is slightly different since they're intended to go through a printer instead of a camera. Does this mean the sprocket holes would be too far or too close to go through a camera properly?

Any ideas or advice about this?

Thanks

#2 Brian Pritchard

Brian Pritchard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Other
  • Stoke-on-Trent, UK

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

Hi all

Just joined the community as I have a pressing question:

Has anyone shot on print or internegative stock before? I imagine it to be a wonderful world of ridiculously low rating, extreme high contrast, like shooting high con film, but with the added pleasure of awesome color saturation.

BUT
I hear that the pitch on print stocks is slightly different since they're intended to go through a printer instead of a camera. Does this mean the sprocket holes would be too far or too close to go through a camera properly?

Any ideas or advice about this?

Thanks

Camera stock is normally perforated short pitch 0.2996" and print stock 0.3000". However, film for high-speed cameras is usually perforated long pitch. You might well manage to get away with long pitch stock, it depends on your camera. Print stock is very slow and, of course, does not have the integral masking of camera and internegative stocks. It will cause the lab a few difficulties if you want it printed. The usual technique is to use a piece of colour negative base in the printer; it won't replace the colour masking but will help with getting the colour balance right. You will also have very high contrast negative but it will certainly give you an interesting result provided you can get enough exposure.
Brian

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Opal

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets