3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:48 PM

I'm making some down and dirty fixtures and I want to make sure they're safe. Any help is greatly appreciated. I checked Harry Box's book, but couldn't find the answer. My question is what to do with the ground wire on the unit.

Here's what the units consist of:
500 watt photo bulb
porcelain socket with one leg hickey and screw terminals (Servalite 1314U, rated for 660W, 250V)
16 gauge, 13 amp, extension cord.

I'm screwing the socket onto a square piece of board that has bounce board stapled onto it. The bounce board is scored and folded down on the sides to create an angled bounce all around. I know how to connect the positive and negative wires, but I'm unsure of the ground. I've read that capping it could leave a fire hazard.

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

Ground should attach to the hickey, lamp pipe and/or other metal parts of the fixture.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

I know how to connect the positive and negative wires..........

I'll assume you're wiring a standard Edison plug. You do know that the wire from the outer threaded shell of the socket goes to the neutral blade of the plug and the inner button contact goes to the hot blade?

In the plug, the copper colored screw is the hot terminal and the silver colored screw is the neutral. Using color coded wiring, black is hot, white is neutral, green is ground. It is acceptable under the electrical code to use all black wires provided you color code both ends of the wires with colored tape.

If you're wiring Bates plugs (stage pin) the offset center pin is ground, the pin closest to the center pin is neutral, and the other one farthest from center pin is the hot pin.

This is all important because you do not want the outer shell of the bulb itself to be electrically hot, there are many ways to have an electrical accident when the shell is hot.

#4 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:35 PM

Thank you for the replies. Mr. Smith, I appreciate the thorough answer you gave. I wasn't wiring plugs this time (just the socket to the other end of an extension cord), but I will certainly need to apply that knowledge in the future.

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Abel Cine