Sean Sullivan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

Hi,

I'm seriously considering buying a new Canon GL2 for a reality production involving a lot of outdoor work.

I am very short on funds (like everyone else, probably... ha ha) so I don't want to make any mistakes buying the wrong equipment.

What does everyone think of the GL2?

Are there better cameras to look at in the $1500 and under range?

What are some of the drawbacks of this camera? I usually see all the great features, but not many people talking about what problems people have had with these.

Thanks for any help.

#2 Sean Sullivan

Sean Sullivan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

Should add that I've been looking at the following cameras in the same price point level... what do you all think?

http://www.nextag.co...984/prices-html

http://www.nextag.co...661/prices-html

http://www.nextag.co...121/prices-html

http://www.nextag.co...153/prices-html

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

DVX is the much better choice for SD, if you want to go HD, the FX7 is a good bet. But, I'd not buy the "cheapest," one around as chances are you're missing the other important bits and bobs from it's kit (battery, charger, etc etc).
Look @ Bhphoto.com for a good idea of the actual prices of any camera, and also always and only by from reputable dealers.
I'd personally not go with a GL2. It's an older camera/format and if memory serves, missing XLR inputs which you'll sorely want for your run and gun audio.

#4 Sean Sullivan

Sean Sullivan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the great advice.

I definitely am not looking at buying the cheapest camera, because every time I buy something that way, it turns out to be a piece of junk.

I have a ceiling of about $1500 budgeted for this project's camera, so I am trying to narrow down what I can get in that price range.

I kept feeling that the GL2 was a bit dated, so I'm with you on that.

Lastly, I have no idea if HD or SD is the way to go... guess I'll keep on reading this forum. Any advice on HD vs SD would be great. I'm mostly putting this on the web, with a possible DVD release eventually. This is not standard television stuff. Quite independent.

Again... thanks. Good advice.

DVX is the much better choice for SD, if you want to go HD, the FX7 is a good bet. But, I'd not buy the "cheapest," one around as chances are you're missing the other important bits and bobs from it's kit (battery, charger, etc etc).
Look @ Bhphoto.com for a good idea of the actual prices of any camera, and also always and only by from reputable dealers.
I'd personally not go with a GL2. It's an older camera/format and if memory serves, missing XLR inputs which you'll sorely want for your run and gun audio.

#5 Sean Sullivan

Sean Sullivan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:28 PM

But, I'd not buy the "cheapest," one around as chances are you're missing the other important bits and bobs from it's kit (battery, charger, etc etc).

Now I see what you mean. Read the reviews on Fotospirit and saw the prices I'm looking at are "bait and switch" scams. Bummer. :(

I had always looked at BH Photo, since I used to live in Manhattan. Guess I better stick to their website. :)

Thanks for the heads up on that.

#6 Aaron Moorhead

Aaron Moorhead
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:19 PM

Take a look at the Canon HV20 or HV30. $1k price point, small form factor, HDV, and 24p! Haven't held one myself, though, so the ergonomics might suck.

Aaron

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Opal

CineTape

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC