http://www.microfilm...8/shotwind.html

It looks ugly as sin but you gotta admire the hutspa. :D

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:25 AM

Well let's examine the facts here as opposed to the "hutspa".

It probably works as well or nearly as well as the real thing.

The real thing is horribly overpriced.

Lenses, for instance, involve hundreds of hours of minutely precise technological processing. Windjammers are a bit of furry fabric and some plastic sheet.

P

#3 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

So what are the audio transmission properties of "mattress foam"?

#4 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

We were doing that junk 25 years ago. We also made "steering cones". They're tubes and cones made of shaped foam to reduce directions of sound approaching the mic. Some types of that foam can cut side noise 50% or more. It can make the single biggest difference to your signal-to-noise ratio on locations.

My first suspender was bits of bent clothes hanger, duct tape and rubber bands. It worked as well as my current store-bought one.

I still use aluminum, telescoping painter's poles for booms.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

Well let's examine the facts here as opposed to the "hutspa".

It probably works as well or nearly as well as the real thing.

The real thing is horribly overpriced.

Lenses, for instance, involve hundreds of hours of minutely precise technological processing. Windjammers are a bit of furry fabric and some plastic sheet.

P

You know you're probably right Phil but HONESTLY if you were doing sound on ANYTHING but your own film or some no budget project you were doing for free, would you really show up carrying this? That's not really the point though. Like I said, if you HAVE nothing else and NO money or resources to buy, rent or borrow anything else and have to make it work, sure, screw what it looks like so long as it works, give it a shot. If you're some kid shooting video on you're dad's camcorder because that's all you have to make a movie with your friends or someone like Rodriguez trying to shoot El Mariachi on a MOS 16 for 7 grand because that's all you can afford, this might save your ass, WHICH incidentally was one of the reasons I posted it, because sometimes you got no money to do things the way their suppose to be done. I wanted to show you don't have to always have the best stuff in the world to get the job done.

I also think blimps are over priced but you can always try those ones they're making in India that they sell on Ebay all the time which are pretty reasonably priced. (I'm gonna try one for my Audio Technica 14 in shotgun and if it works out, get some others for my other mics) I still would make this sort of affair a last resort though, if push came to shove and the sound guy forgot the blimp, we needed one tomorrow and were in some Podunk town in the middle of NOWHERE with just a hardware store and no time to drive to a rental house, you bet your ass, I would give this a shot and be thankful someone took the time to post the tutorial.......which is the OTHER reason I posted it.

ALSO I really do admire people not letting anything stand in the way of their dreams. This guy wanted to shoot outdoors and want to have decent sound so he built this so he could do that. I admire that kind of balls, fortitude and self reliance in the face of overwhelming odds. To go to the trouble to build something like this so he might be able to get good reasonably good sound acquisition when many so called "film makers" would just shoot with the on camera mic and nothing but the factory foam cover to dissipate wind noise, sound quality be damned, is most admirable to my way of thinking. Like I said, where there's a will, there's a way and this guy found one, an ugly one, but one none the less!! Very cool B)

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

Chutzpa is the proper spelling.

A classic example of chutzpa is someone who kills his father and mother, then throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan.

It's nice to have a foot in both houses (of worship). A Lutheran father and a
White Russian Jewish mother...if only because it doubled the holidays I celebrate.

#7 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

White Russian Jewish mother...if only because it doubled the holidays I celebrate.

Matrilineality

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:37 AM

Chutzpa is the proper spelling.

A classic example of chutzpa is someone who kills his father and mother, then throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan.

Christhanukkahmas!! What a KILLER idea. We lose Hanukkah's (If that's the way you actually spell THAT word) 8 days of of crappy gifts and Christmas' 12 days of shrubbery, ornithological, minstrels, jumping royalty and musically inclined preforming female gifts, KEEP the 5 gold rings and celibate 8 days of really GREAT gifts Hal, you're a GENIUS!! :D

I THOUGHT that was wrong, but I Googled it and the spelling I used came up. Damn spellcheck. No one has proper respect for the written Yiddish language anymore. :D

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC