#1 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

I'm shooting a short on Wednesday and one of the locations is a library where two of the main characters will be having dialogue and playing chess. I'm going to be shooting at a local college's library and the lighting in it is already decent.

Check the pictures below to see the current lighting in the room. I don't know if I will be able to turn lights off, though I wouldn't want to because I don't have enough lights to light the entire space.

What I'm thinking is just have a 500w fresnel bounced off of some foam core as the key and throw a bit of back light to set the actors apart from the set. Should this be enough for the location?

Posted Image
(Note: when I saved it as a JPG, the levels got blown out)

This corner of the library has East facing windows, and there is an exact same area on the other side with West facing windows, I'm not sure yet if the scene will be shot morning or afternoon (probably morning) so I'm guessing it would be better to shoot with the West facing windows so I don't get the harsh sunlight that comes in through the windows even with the blinds closed?

Edited by Steve McBride, 05 January 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

The overheads look like they are Cool White (about 4800K with some green) and of course there is daylight coming through the windows -- cool if in the shade, warm if the sun is coming through, so I don't think using a 3200K tungsten-balanced light for the key on the faces would be good since it would be a third color and wouldn't look like it was from either the windows nor the overheads, so in essence you'd be giving the impression of a third source of light in the room.

I'd consider getting a ladder and disconnecting more of the overhead tubes (already in this photo you've got half the overheads off) to create a little more mood and have more of the light coming from the windows, then perhaps just augment the foreground people with a soft daylight keylight, like from an HMI through diffusion or bounced, or a fluorescent fixture like a Kinoflo.

Or if you really want to key with tungsten, close down the blinds or add ND to the windows, turn off more of the Cool White overheads, and bring in a bunch of tungsten practical table lamps and go for a warm-lit interior with cold daylight in the background, knocked down for a dusky look.

#3 Steve London

Steve London
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

What fun to read David's suggestions. I especially like the last one as I think the space will look lots more interesting than as is, which is terribly bland and a light on the table should do something nice for illuminating the chess game.

Remember, you light differently for the master shot than the close ups, where you can move in a light or two for more control over key and fill. And yes, I like backlights on the talent too.

David, if he can't ND gel the window, what if he uses Reveal or dimmed blue photofloods to move his practicals toward daylight while still preserving some warmth?

I'm guessing he's shooting on video and has control of the camera's white balance.

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC