Workshops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David Mickler

David Mickler
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Over the last three years I've worked in TV and documentaries, dipping a few times into features My experience is limited to DV and HD. I'm thinking I'd like to learn more about 35mm and 16mm cameras as well as HD cameras, but I'm not sure where to look for workshops. I'd really love a course that trains first ACs.

Thanks

David

#2 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

http://www.theworksh...e...1&CatID=295

Doug Hart's workshop is pretty well known and well thought of. If it isn't in your area however, I'm sure there are other similar workshops on the West Coast others might know about.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hey, David. I see you worked on Ace of Cakes, do you know Drew Aiello? He's a good friend of mine.

Anyway, the workshops Dave posted are the only ones I know of. I would try to find some work as a 2nd or a loader on a film job. You can also go to rental houses (not on Monday or Friday, too busy) and ask if you can check out some of their equipment. This is a pretty slow time of the year and they might embrace something to do.

#4 David Mickler

David Mickler
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

Hey, David. I see you worked on Ace of Cakes, do you know Drew Aiello? He's a good friend of mine.

Anyway, the workshops Dave posted are the only ones I know of. I would try to find some work as a 2nd or a loader on a film job. You can also go to rental houses (not on Monday or Friday, too busy) and ask if you can check out some of their equipment. This is a pretty slow time of the year and they might embrace something to do.

Chris, Yeah, I know Drew. We worked and lived together out in Baltimore for a couple weeks last summer.

Thanks for the advice, both of you guys. I've looked into the Doug Hart course, but am hesitant spending that much money. I think I will try the rental houses.

#5 David Mickler

David Mickler
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

http://www.theworksh...e...1&CatID=295

Doug Hart's workshop is pretty well known and well thought of. If it isn't in your area however, I'm sure there are other similar workshops on the West Coast others might know about.

Chris, By the ay, saw that you took the Maine AC course. How did you like it? Worth the $?

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Glidecam

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS