#1 Ramesh kumar

Ramesh kumar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

hi
My next project is shoot on arri416 and endup with 1:2.39 through DI process.
Let me have discusion about how the lighting style 1] can i do the lighting setup same as for 35
mm.i mean i would like more contrast lighting ratio, placing shadow more in the scene.2] I had
many discusion in our form about 16mm to 35mm ,some people mentioned you have to ask your
lab and how much their having experience about this way ( maybe trational blowup] that only u
can get the visual result. 3] commonly people are dont like high speed film due to getting more
grains the same happend will be appeared in DI process.

Finally this method s16 to 1.2.39 will be suitable for my lighting style 1] more shadow but no low
key. 2] using half light [90 degree ] key light.

I shall be grateful to your tips.

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

I am a little confused as to how you are linking your Aspect Ratio with your Key to Fill Ratio. Frame size is one thing.. Lighting is another..

When shooting 2:40 in S16 and planning for a blow up, I'd recommend using the slowest stocks possible otherwise the grain will eat you up. Using 7201, 7212 and at the fastest 7217 (for night exteriors etc..) will help a great deal.

I have shot several Features in S16 at 1:85.. but if I was going for a spherical 2:40 show I would really push for 35mm... that way you can use faster stocks and save a lot on your Lighting & Crew Package.. but then again it all depends on what you are doing.

Best of Luck!

#3 Ramesh kumar

Ramesh kumar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:23 AM

I am a little confused as to how you are linking your Aspect Ratio with your Key to Fill Ratio. Frame size is one thing.. Lighting is another..

When shooting 2:40 in S16 and planning for a blow up, I'd recommend using the slowest stocks possible otherwise the grain will eat you up. Using 7201, 7212 and at the fastest 7217 (for night exteriors etc..) will help a great deal.

I have shot several Features in S16 at 1:85.. but if I was going for a spherical 2:40 show I would really push for 35mm... that way you can use faster stocks and save a lot on your Lighting & Crew Package.. but then again it all depends on what you are doing.

Best of Luck!

Thanks David,
surely , i am more confused about when we doing blowup ,anything will be changed in shadow detail? if nothing is happend my confusion is over.
i got the budget like that , so i have decided going through this wayt to 2.40.

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

Ultimately running a test is best.. what may be negligible to me may be totally disconcerting to you.

The one thing lighting wise I will say about 2:40 is that it tends to lend itself to over-head and under-lens lighting due to its wide expanse.

Enjoy your show... 2:40 can be enjoyable as well as challenging to compose.

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks