Synching multiple Stobes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:10 AM

Is there anyway i can synch multiple (consumer) strobes to the shutter of a single camera? Uisng 3 - 4 strobes in any given shot and I need to be able to shoot at 25, 50 and 100fps, shooting on an SR3.

#2 Alfeo Dixon

Alfeo Dixon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Atlanta

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

if you can get one to fire with the camera, I would look into using the old photo slave technology which means you have to step up to a pro-consumer unit that will take a sync cord. Just plug the slave into the pack instead of the sync cable and make sure it sees the main light. One trick we would do is pull the slave into an stinger and put them closer in the line of the main flash.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:28 AM

Some strobes like white lightnings are photo-slaved. If you switch them to that setting, they will fire with large, sudden changes in light intensity. There are no cables involved if you use an on camera flash as a trigger. Otherwise, you'd need to cable to one unit or use something like a radio sync.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:37 AM

I missed the part about consumer strobes. I assume that means you already have them.

In that case I would recommend a wireless radio sync system. Google "pocket wizard." It's a transmitter that you plug into your camera or meter's sync cable socket. The receiver plugs into the power pack or into each head if they're the portable kind with the power unit on each individual head. They have quite good range, I've used them up to a hundred feet or so.

#5 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:26 AM

Thanks guys

#6 Dave Green

Dave Green
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

If this is for broadcast in the UK, then remember you can't have quicker strobing than 3 flashes per second (if I remember the rules correctly).

I would be confident in betting that it will be something similar for cinematic releases in the UK and around the world, too.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

If this is for broadcast in the UK, then remember you can't have quicker strobing than 3 flashes per second (if I remember the rules correctly).

I would be confident in betting that it will be something similar for cinematic releases in the UK and around the world, too.

Never heard of any rule like that. I've seen strobing on screen that would make probably an epileptic person seize.

#8 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

Wasn't aware of that myself either:-) ;)

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Opal

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Glidecam

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC