#1 Maximiliaan Dierickx

Maximiliaan Dierickx
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:25 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first very own lightmeter instead of using the ones from the film school all the time. Do you people have any idea if this lightmeter is okay?

"Sekonic L-358 FlashMaster Light Meter (With Cine Functions) Model 401-358"

With the current discount at Filmtools, this looks like a really good deal. If you think this lightmeter would not suffice, what alternative do you suggest?

Thanks for the help,
Maxim

#2 Ralph Keyser

Ralph Keyser
  • Sustaining Members
  • 120 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

Sekonic makes fine meters. I haven't used this model, but I've used a Sekonic meter for years with great results.
You will pretty quickly want the spot meter attachment, which it sounds like is an extra purchase.

#3 Maximiliaan Dierickx

Maximiliaan Dierickx
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

Right. Never even saw there was none. I figured this was standard. Was looking way too fast again.

Thanks for the reminder!

#4 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:22 AM

Right. Never even saw there was none. I figured this was standard. Was looking way too fast again.

Thanks for the reminder!

I have the L-358. I originally bought it to use with my stills cameras as they don't feature a light meter themselves. I like the meter, it comes with an incident metering dome and a general reflected light metering attachment. As already stated, a spot meter attachment is available as an extra. A full run down of the meter's features can be seen elsewhere, but I get on with it fine.

The meter's cine function offers a wide range of 'fps' settings, but has a fixed assumption of a 180 degree shutter. The top of the range sekonic meter (which is significantly more expensive) allows you to adjust the shutter angle and also incorporates an internal spot meter as well.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:30 AM

If you can afford it I recommend the new Sekonic L-768 meter with the built in spot. If you're a student, you can get it cheaper through Mac on Campus.com
I also recommend one of the old Sekonic analog meters for when batteries fail or if you want that retro look which'll probably scare the bejeezus out of any fresh director who comes from the world of video (I speak from experience on that when he asked to borrow the meter to double check exposures...)
The other brands I love are the old Minoltas, I had an old autometer which I gave to a good friend of mine when I get the new Sekonic, as well as the Spectras which come in "cool" colors. Can't say I really like the Gossens though.

#6 Maximiliaan Dierickx

Maximiliaan Dierickx
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

Great advice, thanks!

I have worked with that L-768 meter Adrian, and I really liked it. But when looking at Filmtools, I see they have the L-758 meter but I can't seem to find the difference in the specs, nor in design. Any ideas?

#7 Ralph Keyser

Ralph Keyser
  • Sustaining Members
  • 120 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

...I see they have the L-758 meter but I can't seem to find the difference in the specs, nor in design. Any ideas?

I'd check out the details at sekonic's site (www.sekonic.com). The 758 is a fine meter (and the one I use), but it's significantly more expensive. Of course, a good meter will last a very long time.

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

CineLab

CineTape

Opal