#1 James Martin

James Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

Hi everyone,

I am currently studying at the Met Film School on Ealing studios, aiming to be a Cinematographer (eventually). One of the things I would love to do, but haven't yet done, is see a proper, full-on camera crew working in a professional situation (feature film/Television).

Is anyone on this forum working on any such projects in London soon who wouldn't mind me watching them work? I am a competent stills photographer and would be happy to render services as that or a tea boy as payment.

Thanks,
James.

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

On union shows, set photographers are part of the camera union, which could prevent you from getting that job outright. If the set photographer idea doesn't work for you, I would suggest the following to complement to your original idea:

In the US it's called camera PA work, and it is non union. There is a lot of lugging around heavy boxes, but it really gives you the opportunity to be part of the camera crew. Bonding through hard work, if you will. This will lead to camera assisting, which is primarily about keeping camera gear and stock / footage organized and working correctly.

Alternatively, you can volunteer to take notes for the DP, like doing lighting diagrams and like secretarial jobs for the DP that the camera assistants cannot perform. That is an essential way to know how to light for motion picture, which is apparently what you want to go for.

Additionally, most of us have learned to do by doing and not just watching, so you may get a better response that way.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:13 AM

Union situation is not the same in the UK. I've seen gaffers getting paid for photos they happened to take which the producers liked.

P

#4 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:24 AM

Hi everyone,

I am currently studying at the Met Film School on Ealing studios, aiming to be a Cinematographer (eventually). One of the things I would love to do, but haven't yet done, is see a proper, full-on camera crew working in a professional situation (feature film/Television).

Is anyone on this forum working on any such projects in London soon who wouldn't mind me watching them work? I am a competent stills photographer and would be happy to render services as that or a tea boy as payment.

Thanks,
James.

James - I have a small music promo coming up in a few weeks which you can sit in on and observe if you like. email me at mailATstephen-murphy.com and we can see if we can work something out.

CineTape

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Ritter Battery