#1 Abdul Rafay Mahmood

Abdul Rafay Mahmood

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

Hey I am a filmaking student from Pakistan, I have to make a short video on the theme of Maladjustment please recoomend me Cinematography techniques and Visual metaphors which signify Maldadjustment.Plz keep in min the avialable equipment is a PD 170 Camcorder.Please Help me out!!!

Regards

Rafay

#2 Kamran Khan

Kamran Khan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

Hi Rauf
It all depends on your script. what is it that you want to show.

Can you please elaborate your question a bit more.

Bye.

#3 Abdul Rafay Mahmood

Abdul Rafay Mahmood

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

[
Well their isnt any script at all.It is supposed to be an experimental film where you get a theme and you show it visually through different visual metaphors in your vicinity.All i need to do is show such images and visuals that give an effect of maladjustment or dislocation.I wanted to know what sort images should i record, for example one reccomendation i got was of shooting a PEPSI refrigerator where a tiltted Sprite bottle is laid between a lot of Pepsi bottles.This one is a very simple example, you can give a totally new perspective to Maladjustment.I need more images that depict maladjustment and i need to know that to what extent and how can we play with a PD 170 to maladjustment in image contruction.Hope you understood what i am looking for.Thanks for the immediate reply, i need some urget professional advice on that.THX

#4 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

[
Well their isnt any script at all.It is supposed to be an experimental film where you get a theme and you show it visually through different visual metaphors in your vicinity.All i need to do is show such images and visuals that give an effect of maladjustment or dislocation.I wanted to know what sort images should i record, for example one reccomendation i got was of shooting a PEPSI refrigerator where a tiltted Sprite bottle is laid between a lot of Pepsi bottles.This one is a very simple example, you can give a totally new perspective to Maladjustment.I need more images that depict maladjustment and i need to know that to what extent and how can we play with a PD 170 to maladjustment in image contruction.Hope you understood what i am looking for.Thanks for the immediate reply, i need some urget professional advice on that.THX

Dude, thats not professional advice you're asking for, you want someone to do your homework for you...

#5 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Maladjustment.
n.
1. Faulty or inadequate adjustment, as in a machine.
2. Inability to adjust to the demands of interpersonal relationships and the stresses of daily living.

Looking at the definition there are a few key words in there that you could use to come up with something.

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:34 AM

Well if you want me to direct your movie FOR you, I'll give it a shot. Not having access to your script for inspiration and going SOLELY on the word "maladjustment" I'd take a cue form Woody Allen's Deconstructing Harry where Robin Williams plays an out-of-focus actor. I would have the various actors who are "maladjusted" fade in and out of focus either randomly or when they don't have lines OR maybe more effectively only when they DON'T speak are they In focus, when they speak the focus on them fades in and out. Perhaps a variation on that, Weird angles when they are speaking, visual distortions, ect. You take it from there. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 15 January 2009 - 12:36 AM.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

That assignment is pretty much a bust if we do it for you, isn't it?

#8 Martin Hawkes

Martin Hawkes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada. Stavanger, Norway

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:13 AM

If you really want to get an "A". Mount the camera onto your body- or just hold it out at arms length- Shoot your own head and shoulders while you walk through crowded downtown streets day/night and ride on public transportation. (Check out "Requiem For A Dream")

When your teacher asks you why this represents maladjustment break down into tears while explaining how it really feels to be the angst filled person you really are. You´ll be declared the class genius... Unless half the class have already done it... ;-)

Good luck.

M

#9 Henry Weidemann

Henry Weidemann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Student
  • Germany

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

Instead of asking other people what kind of visual possibilities to express things they may recommend, you should sit down and think about it on your own. You'll never get good in Cinematography unless you don't find your own way to express things. Try to study as much paintings and painters as possible to expand your knowledge of visual forms of expression. This may help you to find the right ideas for your projects.

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Opal

CineLab

Paralinx LLC