#1 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

First, how come a relative stranger is able to give me a DVD of this last week, with an occasional scroll that indicates it's an awards evaluation copy? And the thing is mint quality? How does this happen? It's not like it was shot on video in a theater.

Next, I think the film was way too gay for my tastes.

Penn, as always, was amazing. But too gay.

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

Penn, as always, was amazing. But too gay.

Too gay? Isn't that the idea? What did you expect, a "sanitized" movie about the US' first openly gay elected official (made by an openly gay director, no less) for conservative Americans?

What surprised me was that some of the footage that was shot in low light had a tremendous amount of grain. Harris Savides is no fool, so there's got to be a reason why it was done that way, but I found it really distracting.
One grain-fest shot is at 1:01:

http://www.apple.com...atures/milk/hd/

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 20 January 2009 - 09:48 PM.

#3 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:07 AM

Just joking about the too gay!

I liked when it looked 16mm-ish at times. Kind of brought you to that time a bit.

#4 Marcus Joseph

Marcus Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

Most likely it was due to the production company handing out screeners to voters in guild associations and film societies that have a minor affect on things such as Golden Globe and Academy Awards voting, around this season, the producers do just about anything to garner attention. In this day and age it'll sometimes cause a movie like such to be leaked across the internet, which may damper the box office sales a little bit, but this should in turn be beneficial for the long run. Like for example, you're strolling across the DVD store and you come across a movie (like say ... There Will Be Blood) and you suddenly see 5 Oscar nominations and you decide to buy it. This probably happens all the time.

I personally liked the movie, it felt as if it did rehash a little on old Van Sant technique though, through his earlier works. The score felt a lot like the previous Elfman/Sant picture, Good Will Hunting. I still very much believe that The Dark Knight should have been nominated for the Best Picture over this. Even The Wrestler, both those movies surpassed this. Most likely the reason towards this outcome was due to such a large number of those minor associations etc. giving Milk the top prizes. As well as Slumdog (which looks as if it's going to sweep this year).

I'd say it's worthy of a rough 8.5/10 in my records.

Edited by Marcus Johnston, 22 January 2009 - 06:51 PM.

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC