#1 Brook Aitken

Brook Aitken

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

I just want to know who was seen what from the 2009 Sundance collection and what did people like?

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

I just want to know who was seen what from the 2009 Sundance collection and what did people like?

I understand that "Brooklyn's Finest" was the first sale made at Sundance. It's directed by Antoine Fuqua, and stars Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke, and Wesley Snipes. It's sure nice to see such unknown, first-time filmmakers have success making a sale at a film festival.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

Dude, it had Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke, and Wesley Snipes. A blind chimp coulda directed it and it woulda sold. :blink:

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:22 AM

Dude, it had Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke, and Wesley Snipes. A blind chimp coulda directed it and it woulda sold. :blink:

No kidding. I was being facetious. The director, Antoine Fuqua (Training Day, Shooter, etc.), is hardly a novice either.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:53 AM

OK, sometimes I'm a little dense. (I hate to admit it, though I saw BOTH of those movies more than once, I never noticed who the director was.) :D

#6 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:20 AM

It was a thin crowd this year. I just got back from my friend's movie that played in Slamdance (Zombie Girl: The Movie) which I went to the opening screening (and it was fantastic, but I won't go into that now).

When I was there in '06, walking down the street was like walking through a sold-out concert. This year there were pockets of crowds here and there, but mostly pretty thin. And, I'm talking about the opening Friday night.

Edited by Justin Hayward, 22 January 2009 - 02:25 AM.

#7 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

It was a thin crowd this year. I just got back from my friend's movie that played in Slamdance (Zombie Girl: The Movie) which I went to the opening screening (and it was fantastic, but I won't go into that now).

When I was there in '06, walking down the street was like walking through a sold-out concert. This year there were pockets of crowds here and there, but mostly pretty thin. And, I'm talking about the opening Friday night.

Maybe the gay boycott had an effect after all? They said Sundance would be a target this year.

R,

#8 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

They had a gay boycott?

My immediate thought was credit crunch.

#9 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

They had a gay boycott?

My immediate thought was credit crunch.

Gay advocacy groups vowed to target Utah in retaliation for the Mormon church's support for Prop 8 in Calif.

R,

#10 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:59 AM

I see....

#11 Dan Durbin

Dan Durbin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • The Woodlands, Texas

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

We attended Sundance (4th time) this year, and while attendance was down, we saw gays and trans at the festival. Some of our favorite films were "The Greatest", "Old Partner", "The Messenger", "In the Loop" and "Moon" which was picked up by Sony Classics. "Push" was the big winner, but we missed that one. We heard the economy and the Inauguration were factors in the low attendance.

#12 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:08 AM

Gay advocacy groups vowed to target Utah in retaliation for the Mormon church's support for Prop 8 in Calif.

R,

That's kind of a retarded idea. I would think that the people who supported Prop 8 in Utah don't want gay people there anyway.

#13 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

That's kind of a retarded idea. I would think that the people who supported Prop 8 in Utah don't want gay people there anyway.

There is substantial evidence showing monetary support from Morman churches in support for the bill passing (a yes vote = no gay marriage)...this was a California only vote, so they stuck their noses in our business.

Anyone should do what they can when they are being discriminated. That's my belief.

I worked on "everything strange and new" - anyone see it?

Edited by Jamie Metzger, 30 January 2009 - 11:54 AM.

Abel Cine

The Slider

Opal

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC