Photo

Differences between Arri lenses for 16mm & 35mm film cameras?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chad Mayer

Chad Mayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, OR

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

I have a IIC with arri standard mounts. When shopping for lenses I'd like to know the easiest way to tell if it is a 35mm film lens from a 16mm since the mounts are the same.
Can you tell by the size of the glass/hidden marks/some trait I don't know about?
If there is no quick way, what is the more technical way? I have heard that wider angle lenses below 30mm (or so) will work for either.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

Chad,

Good question. The ARRI standard mount lenses for 16mm are different from the ones for 35mm in two important ways.

First, many of the 16mm lenses will not cover the 35mm image area on the negative. So you will get "port holing" or "vignetting" of the image.

Second, many of the 16mm lenses will hit the spinning mirror in your IIC because they sink too deeply into the ARRI standard lens mount on the camera.

There are some lenses that will work with both cameras, usually lenses in the telephoto range longer than 50mm. And most 35mm lenses in ARRI standard mount will work on 16mm cameras.

As far as a list goes, this one is incomplete but will give you an idea. These 16mm lenses will not work on a 35mm IIC camera:

Schneider: 10mm, 16mm, 25mm
Cooke Kinetal: 9mm, 12.5mm, 17.5mm, 25mm, 37.5mm
Zeiss: 8mm, 16mm, ????, 10-100 T3.1 zoom
Angenieux: 12-120 zoom

I'm sure someone else can add more lenses to that list.

Best,
-Tim

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

All the Cooke Speed Panchro lenses in Arri Std work on 35mm cameras. The Deep Field Panchro and Tele-Panchros are also okay. ZGC is Cooke's service agent in the US, Guy has always treated me very well.

#4 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

Schneider: 10mm, 16mm, 25mm
Cooke Kinetal: 9mm, 12.5mm, 17.5mm, 25mm, 37.5mm
Zeiss: 8mm, 16mm, ????, 10-100 T3.1 zoom
Angenieux: 12-120 zoom

On the Zeisses, the 16mm Distagon will cover 35mm, but the 16mm & 25mm Planars will not.

#5 Chad Mayer

Chad Mayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, OR

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

Thanks everyone.
Assuming there is no mirror interference, do you think I will be able to see the difference in vignetting just looking through the viewfinder if I use a 16mm lens on my 35 camera? I have a couple suspect cooke panchro lenses (28&32) that fit fine but seem slightly dimmer around the periphery compared to my 50mm wide open.
I'm not sure if I can attribute it to the quality/condition or them being intended for 16mm. Their inner glass diameter is smaller (about half the diameter of the 50mm lens I have), but I've seen 35 lenses that have fairly small inner glass diameters.
Thanks for your help,
Chad

#6 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Chad,

Any Cooke lens with an ARRI standard mount that says Speed Panchro is a 35mm lens. Just looking at them can be a bit confusing I know, but all the Cooke Speed Panchros were made for 35mm and the Cooke Kinetals were made for 16mm.

Best,
-Tim

#7 Chad Mayer

Chad Mayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, OR

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

Thanks Tim!

Chad,

Any Cooke lens with an ARRI standard mount that says Speed Panchro is a 35mm lens. Just looking at them can be a bit confusing I know, but all the Cooke Speed Panchros were made for 35mm and the Cooke Kinetals were made for 16mm.

Best,
-Tim

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport