21 replies to this topic

#1 Steve London

Steve London
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

I've seen a translucent plastic coated wire mesh or screen used to make a rain tent to protect a light. You can just bend it into an inverted V shape and perch it over the lamp. It's like the cello that some cukes are made of and as a kid I saw it used to make pens for small animals. What is that stuff and where do you get it?

TNX

#2 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Most expendables suppliers carry it, and if you are lucky your local hardware store may. It is cellotex wire screen. designed for rescreening window screens. check filmtools they sell it by the cut sheet or by the roll.

#3 Steve London

Steve London
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

Most expendables suppliers carry it, and if you are lucky your local hardware store may. It is cellotex wire screen. designed for rescreening window screens. check filmtools they sell it by the cut sheet or by the roll.

Thank you. I found it here: http://www.filmtools...oflex48x50.html

#4 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:01 AM

Save your money. you can buy twice the roll of wire mesh screen for a 1/3rd the price at the Home Depot.

#5 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:34 AM

Walter,
my local HD doesn't carry it, nor is it on their website. could yo PM me with a price and sku so I can have it ordered via a store.

duke

#6 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3066 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

robert,

do a search for New York Wire in the screens, tools and accessories section on the HD website.

Looks like the same stuff.

#7 Steve London

Steve London
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

robert,

do a search for New York Wire in the screens, tools and accessories section on the HD website.

Gentlemen, I'm all for saving money and buying at the hardware store but I'm not looking for wire screen that lets air through, I'm looking for cello, the same stuff cello cookies are made of. It's screen that is embedded in a sheet of flexible plastic. It's waterproof and I want to use it for rain hats. Harry Box mentions it and lots of grip packages have it on the truck. with help I've learned it's often called celoflex or celoscreen but you find all the variants: two words and cello not celo, etc.

#8 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

I get real funny looks when I ask for Celoflex, Cello wire, Or any of the variants short of stinky wrap at my local HD. I recommended filmtools because I KNOW it is there.

I would love to be able to purchase it at my local HD for 1/3 the price. Hell I would sell it to productions here for a profit. Ace hardware doesnt carry it.

I have two boxes of it. I might take the box in to home depot to see if they can give me a competitive price.

Steve,
Good luck. you might try the Expendibles Recycler in LA. He has great prices, kinda odd guy to deal with but...

#9 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

robert,

It isnt. No plastic.

#10 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

We buy the rolls of wire mesh. Cut the piece you want as a rain cover. Give it a light spray with WD40. You'll never see any water anywhere near the fixture. And most of the time, because the mesh itself is so small, you don't even need the spray. The laws of fluid dynamics keeps the water out by itself.

#11 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

We buy the rolls of wire mesh. Cut the piece you want as a rain cover. Give it a light spray with WD40. You'll never see any water anywhere near the fixture. And most of the time, because the mesh itself is so small, you don't even need the spray. The laws of fluid dynamics keeps the water out by itself.

Interesting concept, I have my doubts about a southern storm, Or Frog Choker as some people call it here. And yes we still shoot in it.

The rain comes down pretty hard and heavy here when it comes. so the plastic is important here. We use it on our ballasts and our distro boxes.

#12 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

I've never heard or used the product. I still make rain hats with flags and bags. If it's a plastic coated mesh, how close to a fixture or ballast can you place it without burning or melting?

#13 Daniel Wallens

Daniel Wallens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Grip
  • New York City

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

The cello is used directly on the unit, touching it. It doesn't melt or burn (it may smoke a little bit for a minute if it's brand new). You can't use flags or bags right on an 18K HMI, cello you can.

#14 Matthew Parnell

Matthew Parnell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Electrician
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:33 AM

Also could be called hogsmesh. At least it is over here in Oz. Very handy stuff.

Also remember to try to protect the lens from exposure to rain as well(especially on HMI Pars). One drop can crack a lens.

Cheers,
Matt.

Edited by Matthew Parnell, 28 January 2009 - 06:35 AM.

#15 Steve London

Steve London
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:56 PM

Here is a manufacturer: http://www.warpbros....n...&product=24

#16 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Also could be called hogsmesh. At least it is over here in Oz. Very handy stuff.

Also remember to try to protect the lens from exposure to rain as well(especially on HMI Pars). One drop can crack a lens.

Cheers,
Matt.

I bet an exploding HMI lens is spectacular in a rainstorm. Expensive, but spectacular.

#17 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

These guys in the Southern USA have cello: http://www.advantagegrip.com/

#18 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

I bet an exploding HMI lens is spectacular in a rainstorm. Expensive, but spectacular.

Not Really It just cracks and falls apart, very unexciting. 12k Par fresnel =roughly $200.

Now a 1k FCM bulb popping over a 20x silk is very exciting. There is a reason new nook lights have a wire mesh screen in front of them.

#19 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:25 AM

I used this stuff recently on 2x 1200w HMI's. Worked great, did the trick.

We also used 4 inch wide sheets of saran wrap to wrap around the 60amp bates connections. Very fast and efficient.

#20 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

I used this stuff recently on 2x 1200w HMI's. Worked great, did the trick.

We also used 4 inch wide sheets of saran wrap to wrap around the 60amp bates connections. Very fast and efficient.

We used to use Stretch wrap/ packaging stretch wrap to wrap bates with but it just became Another expendable to have production complain about. It works really well for connectors.

CineTape

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC