#1 Chad Mayer

Chad Mayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, OR

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

My IIC door has a little play when closed and locked and I don't know how much is tolerable. Do the two door locking tabs wedge/pull the door tight or is a certain about of movement ok to have?

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

My IIC door has a little play when closed and locked and I don't know how much is tolerable. Do the two door locking tabs wedge/pull the door tight or is a certain about of movement ok to have?

There shouldn't be play once the door is latched. Make sure the latch knob is turned all the way horizontal, as some times they can get hung up when not quite in the fully locked position. If there's still a problem, then have a tech go over it if you're unable to spot the problem (which could be bent locking tabs). Although it's possible to shoot unfogged film with that camera when the door is slightly unlatched, there's no point in taking chances.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

In the old days, those doors were always just a little loose. Some people used black tape on them. You can test if it matters: Run about a foot and a half of B&W film forward, stop and take it out in the bright sun, and turn it all various directions to try to get some light to leak in. Then run another foot and a half. Develop this three foot piece in a stills darkroom, and see if you get evidence of a leak in the middle of it.

-- J.S.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

FWIW, during checkout I would reject a camera body that had any play in the door when it's closed. For me, it's not worth the risk of having tape come off or something like that.

How do the seals look? The light seals are usually compressed a little bit when the door is closed. The lack of strong seals might be causing the play.

#5 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:39 AM

How do the seals look? The light seals are usually compressed a little bit when the door is closed. The lack of strong seals might be causing the play.

There really aren't any seals on a IIC door. It is just metal against metal with an "interlocking light trap" sort of design. When the doors on the IIC get loose, if there is not any excessive wear of the metal around the door frame or on the door itself, the usual culprit is the little tabs that rotate into position when you lock the door. They are usually bent. They can be carefully put back into their original shape, but you must do so carefully.

Best,
-Tim

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport