The Fray - 4 acoustic music videos

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rod Blackhurst

Rod Blackhurst
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

Back in August I directed and photographed 6 music videos for The Fray.

Low budget production, shot over 3 days. On Day 1 I only had one other camera operator so we ran Cameras 1 & 2, and then set up Camera 3 on a lock off shot. Day 2 there were 3 of us shooting. And then on Day 3, it was just myself doing some pick up shots.

The idea with always having 3 cameras going, even 1 on lock off, was to be able to animate some movement in post with small key framed pushes and pans. They are all so subtle that they barely look any different than actual camera movement and control.

All I had for lighting were the overhead paper lanterns you can see in the wide shots (purchased at IKEA). I'd been using those lanterns for the past five months shooting a feature length documentary, 'Fair Fight', about the band working on this new record. The band didn't want any more light being added for the music videos so we literally ran the HVX200's wide open at 1/24th. For all the nice tights I obviously cheated the lanterns into position.

I uploaded 4 of them to my Vimeo account but Vimeo unfortunately is causing some weird freezing issues with their compression that isn't there in the original HD H.264 quicktime file.

Anyway....

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

Hope you enjoy......

#2 Gus Sacks

Gus Sacks
  • Sustaining Members
  • 287 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

Nice, Rod. I really dig this type of stuff. If I'm doing music it's mostly live concerts in venues where I have limited control over the elements, and I'm glad you took advantage and lit the space just enough. I like the warm tones. I like the angles and the long-lens work. I even like the little keyframe zooms and pans. Good idea.

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Glidecam

CineTape

Opal

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio