#1 Toby L Edwards

Toby L Edwards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

I thought this was a great Movie. The Cinematography was gorgeous. Shot on Kodak
The shots in the Forest were just fantastic.

#2 Alex Hall

Alex Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

This was a very good looking film. The article in AC on the film talked about using mostly natural light on the film, turned out very well.

#3 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

This was a rubbish film with some terribly trite cinematography- that scene where they storm some nazi place guns a blazin' with cheasy frame/ shutter effects ugh. The majority was plain dull, never sure whether to be epic or melodramatic it settled for a confused middle ground- and that could be said for the whole of the film as well as the cinematography.

And what was going on with ze ackzents. Daniel Craig should never be allowed to try one as he is incapable of holding one for an entire sentence. The russian soldiers came out of the same timber yard as the cast of a daytime soap and why did all the well fed Jewish tree dwellars seem like extras from a woody allen movie. Not as daft as blood diamond, but still if you are attempting to make these kind of thought provoking films you should at least attempt to make them vaguely accurate.

I must admit I did stop watching about two thirds of the way through- I am beginning to think that life is too short for Ed Zwick films.

#4 Marcus Joseph

Marcus Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

I like the majority of Zwick's work, from his glorious Glory all the way down to Blood Diamond. But something just didn't hit the right notes with Defiance for myself, but I must admit, the score was fantastic.

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

Compare and contrast 'Defiance' with Elim Klimov's 'Come and See'.

#6 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

I heard some negative reviews on this one, but I'm required by law to see it since I'm a Jew.

I also heard that for something which was supposed to be historical, it was criminally inaccurate, in that for real, the Jews did some pretty horrible, or revolting, things.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

I heard some negative reviews on this one, but I'm required by law to see it since I'm a Jew.

I also heard that for something which was supposed to be historical, it was criminally inaccurate, in that for real, the Jews did some pretty horrible, or revolting, things.

I don't know about how accurate it was but the Jews in the movie were, at times, as bad as the Nazis from a human rights standpoint.

#8 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

I don't know about how accurate it was but the Jews in the movie were, at times, as bad as the Nazis from a human rights standpoint.

Oh--then I WANT to see it!

I thought it was a whitewash of the real story, but the way you describe it, it wasn't.

#9 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:44 AM

Oh--then I WANT to see it!

I thought it was a whitewash of the real story, but the way you describe it, it wasn't.

I felt it was pretty objective. The Jews were obviously the heros of the story but they also did some pretty awful things to the Germans, people who aided the Germans, and to each other.

Edited by Chris Keth, 06 February 2009 - 12:45 AM.

The Slider

Technodolly

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Ritter Battery