Photo

What is the Difference Between ENR and Full Bleach Bypass?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I have a friend who is shooting a project, and the possibility has come up for doing ENR. I know ENR is more subtle, as it removes some of the silver, and there is a lab willing to do it for us, but he's never done it before.

Assuming the process is not proprietary, do you dilute the bleach, substitute the formula or just not bleach to completion by shortening immersion time?

If it *IS* proprietary, how do you do it anyway? ;)

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

I have a friend who is shooting a project, and the possibility has come up for doing ENR. I know ENR is more subtle, as it removes some of the silver, and there is a lab willing to do it for us, but he's never done it before.

Assuming the process is not proprietary, do you dilute the bleach, substitute the formula or just not bleach to completion by shortening immersion time?

If it *IS* proprietary, how do you do it anyway? ;)

ENR is much more complicated than skipping the bleach step because it involves adding extra tanks to the processing line to develop the silver halide in b&w chemistry so that some percentage is permanent silver and the rest can be removed. Because of this, it's only offered for print stock (FCP line I believe) not the ECN-2 processing line used for negative and intermediate stocks.

Without that, there are some labs that can do a partial skip bleach but I don't know the particulars -- I've heard that skip bleach is a two-step procedure so maybe it involves only skipping one step? Labs that try to do this partial skip bleach often run into streaking problems though.

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Without that, there are some labs that can do a partial skip bleach but I don't know the particulars -- I've heard that skip bleach is a two-step procedure so maybe it involves only skipping one step? Labs that try to do this partial skip bleach often run into streaking problems though.

Thanks David. That is a good point about streaking too. You need to wash the bleach off quick or it will keep eating away silver until it exhausts. Maybe stronger fixer to stop bleach more quickly.

Do you happen to know the %'age that the ENR process is geared towards?

Or is ENR more complicated than simply shortening the bleach step?

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

Thanks David. That is a good point about streaking too. You need to wash the bleach off quick or it will keep eating away silver until it exhausts. Maybe stronger fixer to stop bleach more quickly.

Do you happen to know the %'age that the ENR process is geared towards?

Or is ENR more complicated than simply shortening the bleach step?

As I said, ENR involves adding extra tanks to the processing line, so it is a LOT more complicated.

You can select any level of silver retention you want with ENR, up to a 100 IR level (silver retention is measured in the amount of infrared it absorbs, I think. Full skip bleach is something like a 370 IR level.) 100 IR level of ENT is often mistakenly referred to as "100% ENR", though it is the maximum strength you can request.

In between 100 IR level of ENR and Full Skip Bleach is a variation of ENR called CCE at Deluxe and OZ at Technicolor -- it's somewhere in the 250 IR level I think.

#5 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

You can select any level of silver retention you want with ENR, up to a 100 IR level (silver retention is measured in the amount of infrared it absorbs, I think. Full skip bleach is something like a 370 IR level.) 100 IR level of ENT is often mistakenly referred to as "100% ENR", though it is the maximum strength you can request.

Thank you David. I had assumed it was percentages myself. I guess I need to do more research!

Thanks again.

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Paralinx LLC