Photo

Advantages of a 100 ASA stock versus Vision 3 500 ASA stock?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Patrick Kaplin

Patrick Kaplin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Ottawa, Canada

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'm currently involved in my last film at school, and one of the members of my group has suggested trying out a 100 ASA stock for the film. The film will be shot indoors on location with our highest-power lights being 2 1Ks. Obviously, exposure is a major concern for me at 100 ASA especially if we are using full CTB to convert the lights to match the incoming daylight.

I think ultimately, my fellow film teammate wants a richer color saturation with a higher contrast look. My suggestion was to shoot the 500 ASA while closely monitoring production design for color while utilizing low-key lighting. And for any other refinements to the look I was going to leave it until the color timing stage.

So my questions are:

Are there any advantages to shooting a 100 ASA versus the Vision3 500 ASA stock?

Does 100 ASA render more color saturation with a finer grain? Or is Vision3 totally suitable as far as a finer grain goes.

Thanks in advance everybody!

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

Short answer: it depends.
While the '19 stock will be great, it depends a lot on if you're talking 72 of 5219. For super 16mm, the grain properties of the 100T will be far finer than that of the '19, which isn't to say that the 7219 stock can't be fine grained, or that grain is an issue.
Moreover, why are you converting Tungsten to daylight? It would make more sense, perhaps, to cover your windows with CTO as it'll loose less light than CTB on your 1K heads. Granted, you need more CTO to cover a window than CTB to cover a barn-door.
The 7219 is lower in contrast but, again, as long as you'll be scaning the film you can manipulate it's image characteristic then. Of course, not knowing exactly the location we can only faintly give suggestions. Perhaps, though it would be wiser to use '17 stock.. the 200T. It'll be fine grained and should give you enough for exposure. My 2 Cents

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Opal

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS