Kristian Olson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hello,

I am writing a film analysis essay in freshmen English on the cinematography of a film, title omitted. I do not know much about the process of cinematography other than what little I have read on the internet and am having a little trouble with my research. I was looking for some pointers on about camera angle, lighting, film speed, fliters, etc. I guess I am mostly looking for website links or ideas on how and why a cinematographer chooses certain tactics.

Thanks to all

Edited by Kristian Olson, 29 January 2009 - 06:37 PM.

#2 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Wouldn't you be better off researching the film you're writing about and try to find out precisely why the Cinematographer chose to shoot that film the way he did? Otherwise, it sounds like you're trying to teach yourself how to deconstruct a film, which I'm guessing isn't a realistic goal given the time frame you have to work within to write your paper.

For free web sources aside from this site, I'd hit theasc.com and read the back issues and articles that are posted there for free, and listen to their podcasts of interviews with established Cinematographers.

You can also do a search for interviews with Kubrick and essays on his films since they often discuss decisions he made in regards lenses, cameras, and other technical issues.

You could also watch DVDs that have commentaries by Cinematographers. Here's a thread that lists a slew of them:
http://www.cinematog...hl=commentaries
I would add CQ to that list.

Good luck with your research.

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Opal

Tai Audio