#1 Austin Michaels

Austin Michaels
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Arizona

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

I was told that i should buy a basic mac pro and not add any upgrades with them that due with memory hard drives and cd/dvd drives. He told me that i could just install them myself.

Is that a smart way to go?

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:32 AM

You are not giving a lot of info to go by,

Basic questions:

What kind of material are you going to edit?

What is your level as an editor?

Do you intend to edit short pieces or features or doc's?

Etc.

#3 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:45 AM

Yes - you can purchase upgrades elsewhere of Apple (usually at much less cost) and install it all yourself ...
;)

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

There's always the competition.

#5 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

I was told that i should buy a basic mac pro and not add any upgrades with them that due with memory hard drives and cd/dvd drives. He told me that i could just install them myself.

Is that a smart way to go?

Absolutely true. Buy the bare bones computer from Mac. Doesn't matter where you buy a Mac, they regulate prices so there is really no special place to buy one. In fact look at the online mac store in the refurbished department. I bought three macs this way. You can save upwards of $400-500. Refurb come with the same warranty. Always buy the apple care which gives you three year on site protection, new or refurbed. Then you can go to places like other world computing, etc for memory and more. Or any place you choose for disk drives, etc. Great thing is that memory and other things are so inexpensive. Y9ou can buy 16gigs of mem these days for $500. just a few years ago it would have cost twice that much.

#6 Austin Michaels

Austin Michaels
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Arizona

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

my level of editting is not high right now. But i do use Final CutPro 4.5

I was going to buy the studio 2 but my Power G4 does not meet the requirements.

The material i edit is wide range from any contests but my job i video taping weddings and editing them.

Also this Avid what kind of editing does that do? Is it just the same as Final Cut?

#7 Austin Michaels

Austin Michaels
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Arizona

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Also

Is it smart to buy the good graphics cards with apple since they are decently cheap or should i install my own?

Walter Graff or anyone could you help me find a template for video/editing theme? I have been looking all over and most are 100-200$.
I saw Walter you have quite a few websites.

#8 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

Also

Is it smart to buy the good graphics cards with apple since they are decently cheap or should i install my own?

Walter Graff or anyone could you help me find a template for video/editing theme? I have been looking all over and most are 100-200$.
I saw Walter you have quite a few websites.

Buy Apples card. Its the best youll find or need

#9 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

Also this Avid what kind of editing does that do? Is it just the same as Final Cut?

There's two mainstream choices in NLEs, Avid and Final Cut. From my experience, Avid is an industry-standard platform, offering about the same features as Final Cut Pro. There's a big difference in the file formats. In terms of usability, if you already know Final Cut, I'd recommend you stay with it.

In terms of hardware, I went the same route you're considering, in terms of buying a barebones machine and adding parts. If you're planning to edit HD in the future, a 2.66 GHz has done very well for me, so the current stock 2.8GHz is adequate. I bought my hard drives from Seagate, and my RAM from Mushkin. I'd recommend that you purchase the stock installed 250GB from apple. Use this to house your operating system and applications. These days you can get a 1TB drive for about $150, which can hold about 92 hours of HD, or 110 or so hours of SD video. Keeping your media and OS/Apps seperate will save you a lot of aggravation in the future, should something catastrophic happen.

#10 Austin Michaels

Austin Michaels
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Arizona

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the responses. I plan on buying the macpro when the next generation comes out and buying the max processor for it so i dont have to update it and I can basiclly have the top line computer and just add RAM and Hard Drives.

I will most likey max out the max so i can edit more quickly and its just easier overall.

Thanks again for everyone that responded.

#11 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

There's always the competition.

Phil,

I've heard of these frankenmacs.

I need to get an editing system. I want to be able to edit HD and output it to good lookng DVDs. I'd like to be able to generate EDLs for negative cutting, 2 perf and 4 perf 35mm. I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I don't want to learn more than one editing program, and all the younger people I talk to are using FCP.

Is there any reason not to use the frankenmac with FCP?

Thanks,

Bruce Taylor
www.Indi35.com

#12 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:35 AM

PC. Adobe. SATA3.00.

#13 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

"Is there any reason not to use the frankenmac with FCP?"

Although I love Adobe products, for me there is no other reason-I'm not sure about the Frankenmac. And hopefully the new macs and FCP will be equipped with Blue Ray capabilities.

As I said, I love Adobe and will be using Premier Pro today, but the problem I had with HD, is getting the transfer done and put on a PC formatted hard drive. I would check your favorite transfer house on that one.

Tom

#14 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Although I love Adobe products, for me there is no other reason-I'm not sure about the Frankenmac. And hopefully the new macs and FCP will be equipped with Blue Ray capabilities.

Tom

Already using blue ray burners on my macs. No issues.

#15 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

The Psystar macs are, as I understand it, in legal limbo.

The fact that they're infringing the Apple EULA on OSX doesn't seem to be in question; rather, they're taking the position that the EULA isn't enforceable (as several others have proven not to be in the past).

Despite having been an issue for - eesh - must be over a year now, I don't think this has been resolved. I occasionally check up on it and I'm sure a google search will tell you where things now stand. I would assume that Apple will, if they lose, work hard to find ways to shut down the competition and that could conceivably include making sure that future software updates either aren't available for the Psystar macs or, conceivably, deliberately cause problems for them, although they could already be doing this.

I suspect it'll take quite some time more before this comes to a head and I further suspect that during this time, the software patches Psystar are using will probably be able to keep ahead of the game. Once it's been decided, who knows. The problems for these things will lie in the future. That they work now and are cheaper than Apple equivalents is not really in doubt.

P

#16 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

Too bad the folks who own Macs are not into the PC lifestyle of having something cheap with a name on it. Apples success is partially due to the lifestyle it creates. The machines are engineered to look real nice, feel nice, and to operate seamlessly. As a former heavy duty PC guy who switched, I saw that it simply wasn't about a box with software as PCs are sold. These mac clones are nice but you'd be better off paying the right price for a real Mac so that you can use it to do what it needs to do and use the appropriate software hardware that separates Mac from the pack.

http://reviews.cnet....7-32978558.html

#17 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

I think it depends what you're after.

Certainly, Apple has created a nice user experience, although I'm not sure that the hardware/software bundling actually contributes as much to that simply as their determination to get the ergonomics right. Either way, if you're after a mac for the "lifestyle", certainly, go and buy one from Apple.

That said, there are only a handful of really concrete reasons to run OSX in a professional environment, FCP chief among them. If that's all you're after, a clone mightn't be a bad choice.

My only concern would be the ability of the thing to work now and keep working into the future, with future software updates for both application and OS. This will need continuous attention from Psystar, but again, if all you're going to do is run FCP on it, just don't install operating system updates and it'll go on being an edit bay as long as you keep feeding mains power to it. The rub will come when you see a piece of Mac software you want but can't run without making changes to the OS that the clone hardware might not support, but I can't see Psystar letting that become an enormous issue or the things would be useless.

P

#18 Sean Elder

Sean Elder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

I know this question was probably been asked, but would it be more of a convenience to buy a mac book pro for on the run editing instead of buying a tower? What would be some of the setbacks of a laptop vs tower?

#19 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

I know this question was probably been asked, but would it be more of a convenience to buy a mac book pro for on the run editing instead of buying a tower? What would be some of the setbacks of a laptop vs tower?

Screen size, input output ability without money and add on's to do so, usability (towers have more options for configurations and speed), connections inherent in the computer, etc

#20 Austin Michaels

Austin Michaels
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Arizona

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

Also editing on the go your not that concentrated and when your home you have other devices to help you if needed. And again screen size and multiple screens

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Glidecam