5 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

I have a special F/X shot that I need to complete for a film I worked on recently.

This is the shot: Foreground shot is a fir tree, filmed at night and lit with tungsten side lighting. Background shot is star-filled sky with Orion. I need to matte the star shot over the darkness of the fir tree shot.

The star shot is actually four time-frames of slightly different exposures to give the stars a bit of flicker.

I am working with FCP Studio Pro. I am told Motion might work well for the composite.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

#2 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

Create a hi con matte of the tree vs the sky in photoshop. Insert your background into black or white of the matte. Done. Make sense?

#3 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:22 PM

Create a hi con matte of the tree vs the sky in photoshop. Insert your background into black or white of the matte. Done. Make sense?

#4 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

Yes, this makes sense if I was compositing a still photograph, but I am working with moving images here.

#5 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

You can find about a zillion tutorials for how to do keying and rotoscoping in After Effects or other programs all over the internet.

Also, it's generally a good idea to have planned this sort of thing out beforehand and to know how you're going to do it before you shoot it and make your movie dependent on a shot that you may not know how to accomplish.

#6 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:02 AM

You can find about a zillion tutorials for how to do keying and rotoscoping in After Effects or other programs all over the internet.

Also, it's generally a good idea to have planned this sort of thing out beforehand and to know how you're going to do it before you shoot it and make your movie dependent on a shot that you may not know how to accomplish.

If everybody went to Google to get all the answers to life, then seeking advice @ Cinematography.com from friendly professionals like yourself would seem so pointless. So relax. The Cardinals still played a good game.

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

The Slider

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post