#1 John Lanney

John Lanney

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:18 AM

Hi guys, I am wondering if there are any sources I can go to in order to know more about how to do everything on cameras?

Are there books that teach you what is SD and HD cameras or teach you how to preset its options in order to make them look like film pictures?

Basically, just any resources that teaches you everything about cameras.

Thank you for reading.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

What menu settings help get you a "film look" on SD and HD cameras is somewhat subjective -- different people have different opinions on that.

Trouble is that movies do not have one look in terms of contrast, saturation, etc.

Plus film generally means negative film, so the question becomes do you want settings to get you a very low-contrast video image, like a film negative, that needs to be color-corrected in post -- or do you want something right out of the camera for broadcast video that has the final look you want?

I think it's better to not fixate so much on a vague concept as a "film look" and concentrate on specific visual goals in terms of what contrast and saturation and sharpness levels you want for your project.

I can't think of specific books with suggested menu settings -- for one thing, there are far too many video cameras out there and a book would probably not be up to date with the most current cameras on the market anyway. I recall a BBC white paper on settings for betacam cameras, and perhaps HD cameras, and Digital Praxis has their own recommended menu settings. I recall Swiss Effects used to have suggested SD camera settings for anyone doing film-out work.

#3 John Lanney

John Lanney

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

Oh, I am trying to ask if there is any guide books that teaches you all the modes in a camcorder that we can adjust like colour temperature and things like that?

Maybe websites have information on that too. Anyone knows any?

Thank you for reading.

#4 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

I think you'd need to read the manuals for each individual camera. Cameras vary pretty significantly in terms of how they let you control image processing.

CineTape

The Slider

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine