5 replies to this topic

#1 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:57 AM

When submitting a dvd screener, is it more appropriate to make a simple menu or let the film run straight away?

#2 Jim Hyslop

Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

When submitting a dvd screener, is it more appropriate to make a simple menu or let the film run straight away?

Did anyone reply privately to you on this? If so, I'd be interested in hearing what they had to say.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

From what I've heard about the festival selection process in the past, they get so many entries (especially shorts) keep it simple and just let the film run. If they have to mess around with the DVD menus it's less time that they might spend watching your film.

#4 Andrew Sobey

Andrew Sobey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:59 AM

The withoutabox discussion board would be a good place to ask, there's a bunch of festival programmers/coordinators who post there.

#5 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

I just have a "Play" button on my "menu". There's nothing to select. . .it's the only button. Pressing "enter" or "play" on the DVD remote will play the movie. I would think a DVD that starts playing as soon as it loads could be an issue 'cause what if they viewer isn't ready? What if they put the DVD in, THEN turn on the TV, etc. etc. and the film's already off and running?

Now, granted, I've only entered (and occasionally gotten into) what are considered "third tier" festivals. . .so who knows what the Cannes-es and Sundances of the world want?

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

I just have a "Play" button on my "menu". There's nothing to select. . .it's the only button. Pressing "enter" or "play" on the DVD remote will play the movie. I would think a DVD that starts playing as soon as it loads could be an issue 'cause what if they viewer isn't ready? What if they put the DVD in, THEN turn on the TV, etc. etc. and the film's already off and running?

Now, granted, I've only entered (and occasionally gotten into) what are considered "third tier" festivals. . .so who knows what the Cannes-es and Sundances of the world want?

I would go any further than a simple play button. Viewing films for festival selection tends to be a production line, so I wouldn't go any further than further than that. The point is grabbing the programmer's attention; their TV will be on, the main problem will be stopping them hitting the DVD stop and eject button before your film finishes.

Just because you've entered your film doesn't automatically mean they're going to watch it all the way through when they've got a pile other other film to watch.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineLab

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc