#1 Alessandro Conte

Alessandro Conte

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:42 AM

We have a problem. We made a mistake formatting an hard disk containing footage. The data lost were several "CONTENTS" folders coming from P2, recorded with Panasonic AG-HVX200 videocameras, in DVCPROHD. The hard disk is actually used in Mac OS system. How can we recover the lost data?

#2 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

hi i'm not a geek but securizing data is one of the most important issue with the data technologie.
ususaly people are doing copys of copys, miror discs and complicated workflow to secure the data.
Data is the neg or the tape.
by formating the hard drive you erased your data.
i heard once about a software to have the data back but it's quite expensive and should be done at Mac consumer service nearby your place.
good luck but you'r contents may be lost.

#3 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

We have a problem. We made a mistake formatting an hard disk containing footage. The data lost were several "CONTENTS" folders coming from P2, recorded with Panasonic AG-HVX200 videocameras, in DVCPROHD. The hard disk is actually used in Mac OS system. How can we recover the lost data?

Whoops! Data Rescue for mac will let you see what is on the drive and recover it.

#4 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

You are pretty much screwed. Sorry.

#5 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

You are pretty much screwed. Sorry.

As long as a hard drive has data on it it can be retrieved. It's the drives file system that tells your computer where the files are, and even if that is corrupt, the data still exists and can easily be retrieved. I use datarescue 2. http://www.prosoften...data_rescue.php With it you can recover basically anything including deleted files. I have saved many a "lost" drive with it. There are a number of programs that do it. All you need is another drive for the data to be written to. Due to the method Macs write to drives, it's nearly impossible to lose data on it even if the drive is corrupted and can't be read by the computer.

#6 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

As long as a hard drive has data on it it can be retrieved. It's the drives file system that tells your computer where the files are, and even if that is corrupt, the data still exists and can easily be retrieved. I use datarescue 2. http://www.prosoften...data_rescue.php With it you can recover basically anything including deleted files. I have saved many a "lost" drive with it. There are a number of programs that do it. All you need is another drive for the data to be written to. Due to the method Macs write to drives, it's nearly impossible to lose data on it even if the drive is corrupted and can't be read by the computer.

Yeah, thats true with usual files, but the drive has been formatted. I have used Prosoft products before, but not to recover raw video, only word docs and the like. and its not always in great condition even when recovering a simple word doc. The drive was formatted. How can the contents still remain in their original form? Sure you can see what used to exist on the drive, but for video, I am thinking this guys boned. You can send it to a data recovery company, but it will cost some coin, and there's no garauntee of the integrity of the video.

#7 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, thats true with usual files, but the drive has been formatted. I have used Prosoft products before, but not to recover raw video, only word docs and the like. and its not always in great condition even when recovering a simple word doc. The drive was formatted. How can the contents still remain in their original form? Sure you can see what used to exist on the drive, but for video, I am thinking this guys boned. You can send it to a data recovery company, but it will cost some coin, and there's no garauntee of the integrity of the video.

Formatting a drive basically tells the drive to rewrite the file that is the pointer on the drive. Files remain intact unless you do an extensive cleaning of the drive and tell it to go to each sector and delete. It all depends on how you reformat. But often the files are still there. Anyone can download the free version and see. A data recovery company usually uses the same software you can buy so do it yourslef.

#8 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

Formatting a drive basically tells the drive to rewrite the file that is the pointer on the drive. Files remain intact unless you do an extensive cleaning of the drive and tell it to go to each sector and delete. It all depends on how you reformat. But often the files are still there. Anyone can download the free version and see. A data recovery company usually uses the same software you can buy so do it yourslef.

I will be very curious to see if the video can be recovered intact. Keep us posted, especially for myself who works with P2 footage frequently..also, just a quick note, if you have a 100GB drive filled with video, format it, now have 100GB of free space, where does the video go? Is it hidden until overwritten? Is that how the recovery is possible?

Edited by Mike Washlesky, 05 February 2009 - 12:15 PM.

#9 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

I will be very curious to see if the video can be recovered intact. Keep us posted, especially for myself who works with P2 footage frequently..also, just a quick note, if you have a 100GB drive filled with video, format it, now have 100GB of free space, where does the video go? Is it hidden until overwritten? Is that how the recovery is possible?

As Walter pointed out, formatting a drive the normal way only deletes the MFT (Master File Table). This section of the drive basically tells the system what is on the disk and where. Unless you have overwritten the disk with new data the old data is still there. Even after a format. I have successfully recovered OMFI files on a friend's disk formatted in error. That was a while ago so I don't recall the software I used. On it was a Windows disk, but that shouldn't really matter.

Cheers, Dave

#10 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

As Walter pointed out, formatting a drive the normal way only deletes the MFT (Master File Table). This section of the drive basically tells the system what is on the disk and where. Unless you have overwritten the disk with new data the old data is still there. Even after a format. I have successfully recovered OMFI files on a friend's disk formatted in error. That was a while ago so I don't recall the software I used. On it was a Windows disk, but that shouldn't really matter.

Cheers, Dave

Right, so until something has been overwritten on the disc, it still remains in some form. Gotcha.

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly