What looks like a pair of Binoculars on top of camera

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blain

Blain
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

I seen this picture with what looks like binoculars on top of the camera. Can anyone tell me what they are and what they are used for. Is it a range finder they mounted on the camera.

#2 Eliza Plumlee

Eliza Plumlee

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

those are the "horns" of the cine tape. it helps the 1st know how far away the subject is and where to focus.

http://www.zgc.com/z...5256F5D00527521

#3 Mike Thorn

Mike Thorn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Grip
  • Cleveland, OH

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

How accurate is the Cinetape?

I was under the impression that ultrasonic distance measurers were significantly less accurate and prone to error in two- or three-shots (as well as shots with other objects in the foreground).

#4 Tim Fabrizio

Tim Fabrizio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn,NY

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

They are just there for reference and a quicker way to do focus. Some assistants put a laser pointer up there as well and thats how they dial in the cinetape. Since proper focus is done to the eye of the subject dialing in with a laser pointer is exactly the safest way. I have seen guys aim the laser just below the eye. Still not exactly the safest thing.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Blain, please go to My Controls and edit your Display Name to a real first and last name as per the forum rules. Thanks.

#6 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

I have seen guys aim the laser just below the eye. Still not exactly the safest thing.

Kinda stupid, actually. If the subject is so far away that you need to use your laser, then measuring at their chest should be fine in most cases. Otherwise, get out the soft tape or FatMax and run it out there for an exact measurement to the actor's eyes.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

Kinda stupid, actually. If the subject is so far away that you need to use your laser, then measuring at their chest should be fine in most cases. Otherwise, get out the soft tape or FatMax and run it out there for an exact measurement to the actor's eyes.

Good points. I don't know what the laser is supposed to be for, anyway. When you point the thing, you know when it's pointing at the right thing. Either the distance measurement is about what you can visually estimate or it's on the background and reading many feet greater. You obviously can't use the laser during takes or anything, either. It just seems like someone's playing with their toys rather than working.

#8 Blake Alcantara

Blake Alcantara

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Film Loader
  • New York, New York

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

it is the cinetape, or the panatape.

Assistants do use laser guided finders like a hilti, however a quick check with the cinetape is usually better because you can leave it on the camera while shooting [a moving target] which is obviously more helpful to a focus puller than pulling out their hilti mid-focus-pull.

it is possible to change the strength and range of the cinetapes, but an assistants most reliable tool is always the tape measure--don't forget it.

the cinetape is a benefit but not a necessity.

-Blake

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

The Slider