#1 Jen Harvey

Jen Harvey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:46 PM

Hi, I'm new to super 8s & forums so apologies if I do anything wrong. I recently bought a Chinon 672 autozoom classic for £5. It's in a beautiful condition but came with no instruction manual and I have no idea what sort of film it takes. I've tried internet searching but as I know nothing about super 8s I've found nothing out. I have found the batteries in the USA that should work in it but other than that, nothing. I would really appreciate any information and help with this as I would like to start filming in a month.

Thank you!!

#2 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

Hi, chinon 672 dates from 1974-79 ish, i'm guessing that your camera will only acept the discontinued kodachrome 40 and ektachrome 160 kodak super 8 stocks... If your camera has manual exposure then try kodaks 64t stock.. If you camera lacks manual exposure over ride then run a cartridge of fuji 50d thru, available from here http://www.spectrafi...o.com/Film.html remembering to cancel the daylight/tungsten filter.. Think you need to obtain a manual for your camera to confim its specs, hopefully more people on here will help too... Here are a couple of site to get you started http://www.filmshoot...i...l&Itemid=62 http://homepage.mac.com/onsuper8/
before starting your super 8 project, make sure you run a test film thru your camera, it could save you time and money.......

good luck

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hi, I'm new to super 8s & forums so apologies if I do anything wrong. I recently bought a Chinon 672 autozoom classic for £5. It's in a beautiful condition but came with no instruction manual and I have no idea what sort of film it takes. I've tried internet searching but as I know nothing about super 8s I've found nothing out. I have found the batteries in the USA that should work in it but other than that, nothing. I would really appreciate any information and help with this as I would like to start filming in a month.

Thank you!!

Is it the chinon 672c or 672 syncro sound? The former has a 220º shutter angle. What would be the shutter speed equivalent? What ever that is use that fraction on your light meter for the proper exposure. It does have manual ƒ stop control. should be good camera for low light. I would try one each of the latest stocks. Use a lab in the US, you will still save money.

#4 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

I have a chinon 674 from the early 1970s. This camera can take any possible super 8 stock. Further it has the very useful exposure compensation dial. This allows correction of drift in the light meter. More often than not I think Chinon cameras had such an exposure compensation thumb wheel. This means that even 40/160 chinons (which in my opinion would be later Chinon cameras, usually from the sound period) that have this dial can be easily adjusted for any super 8 asa.

My bet is that the 672 you have is able to read any s8 stock. The limitation to 40/160 tended to come about later after 40 and 160 asa had really established themselves as the available speeds. But if you have the 'sound' version of the 672, then maybe not. but even then, if it has an exposure compensation thumbwheel (the '+/-' control) then it would still work on auto if set correctly.

If you are able to take a picture of the inside of the film compartment (concentrating on the film gate end of the film chamber) then we might be able to see the film speed detector device and confirm some of this. You might be able to find it yourself ... Is there a little 'stair case' shaped device visible in there? (chinons of this period usually used the stair case shaped detector). If so, then it reads many or all speeds.
cheers,
richard

#5 Jen Harvey

Jen Harvey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly. Ok in the cartidge compartment it states- DAYLIGHT ASA 16 25 40 64 100 160
ARTIFICIAL LIGHT ASA 25 40 64 100 160 250

There is a blask upsidedown stair device in there also.
A tiny wheel on top says both Auto and Manual.
The lens says Chinon Reflex Zoom Lens F:1.7 8-48mm.
I can't recall the person who sold it to me saying it could used sound and there is no type to suggest so. No site I've come across mentions its capability to use sound either so I'm thinking it's silent.

Hopefully I can get an instruction manual soon, I'm in touch with an internet company who show one on their site.

Thanks for helping, I'll show my tutor your suggestions and we may get somewhere.

#6 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly. Ok in the cartidge compartment it states- DAYLIGHT ASA 16 25 40 64 100 160
ARTIFICIAL LIGHT ASA 25 40 64 100 160 250

There is a blask upsidedown stair device in there also.
A tiny wheel on top says both Auto and Manual.
The lens says Chinon Reflex Zoom Lens F:1.7 8-48mm.
I can't recall the person who sold it to me saying it could used sound and there is no type to suggest so. No site I've come across mentions its capability to use sound either so I'm thinking it's silent.

Hopefully I can get an instruction manual soon, I'm in touch with an internet company who show one on their site.

Thanks for helping, I'll show my tutor your suggestions and we may get somewhere.

Right, so it reads all possible s8 cartriges up to 250t. That is fine.
The auto/manual dial isn't the exposure compensation device I was refering too. There may still be one though. On my 674 it is located below the lens and is a coin or screwdriver operated control with '+' and '-' on it. Not to worry if you can't find it.
When you get the zinc-air batteries that you will need, you might need to put a little ball of tin foil in the compartment with them to take up a bit of space. Also, if your camera is like the 674, the light meter stays on when there is film in the camera. So when you finish shooting, take the film out to save the batteries (this may not be so with yours, you can check to see that).
There are tips on my web site about shooting super 8 you might like to read.
cheers,
richard

#7 Jen Harvey

Jen Harvey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

Thanks so much you've been a great help!

#8 Jen Harvey

Jen Harvey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:22 AM

Hi, I've found a battery compartment in the back of the handle and it looks as though it needs some form of carrier/cartridge to hold the batteries (AAX2) before being inserted into the handle. However there is no carrier. Am I correct in assuming it does need a carrier for the batteries and if so does anyone have any idea where I may find one or what it is actually called so I can begin another quest on the internet to find one.

Thanks

#9 Tim Spaceman

Tim Spaceman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:18 AM

Hi everyone

I have the same Chinon super 8 camera, newly acquired.

There is for this model, an "electric eye" automatic exposure control, powered by some strange battery (PX-14 2,7v mercury battery). Is this totally necessary? WOuld the camera still work and capture without needing to use the electric eye, or will the tape come out pitch black once processed?

Many Thanks!!!

Jen, i'm pretty sure that we have the same model. it takes 4 AA batteries for the camera motor.

Abel Cine

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Opal

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio