justinmaynard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Electrician
  • Tupelo, MS

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

So I have a shoot coming up being shot on the HPX 170 with letus adapter and Nikon lenses. The majority of the shoot is in one of those police station visitation rooms where the prisoner and visitor are separated by glass and talk to each other via phones. I'm looking for some lighting advice. My lighting kit is as follows: 6 Arri Open Face 650w, 2 Arri 2K Frenels, 1 2K Mole Softlight, 1 Kino Diva light(2 bank 2ft), a few par cans, and various smaller tungsten sources, and grip equipment.

Anyways, do you think I can get by with my lighting package or should I try to rent some lights if my budget will allow. I was thinking it would be nice to rent 2 Kino fat mans.

Anyone have experience with this sort of overhead florescent look?
Thanks

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

You can bounce some heads off of the ceiling for the top light look and then use some of the other units to add some definition. What you might also look into would be mounting proper flo tubes around the mirror, and letting them go cold blue. Could be an interesting look on both sides of it to light the people and having everything else fall off into black . Without knowing the context of the scene, though, it's hard to think of a style to match it.

#3 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

You could hang the 2Ks... one above each talent... just a bit in front of each person to light the face.. hard top light... move the Lamp forward of each face to reveal more of the face... Don't worry if it seems too bright.. that added stop will help you in creating a darker background (depending on what is indeed in the background). Like Adrian said, it really depends on what the script calls for. What I am sharing is something different from what Adrian described just to be different... because it all depends on what the scene calls for... which you have not specified.. do you know? What have you decided to try to achieve?... that will help a great deal. Going this route, I'd hang those 2Ks.. use the 2K Zip & the Kino for soft backlights on the talent (if needed)... they would be hung ready to go... with diffusion on each for further softening. So you have two 2Ks, one 2K Zip (softlight) and a Kino hanging. Then use the Par Cans to 'rake' any background... they are GREAT for that! Ok.. there is a cool set-up but what do (you) want it to look like? btw.. that hard top light is (can be) wonderful with heavy diffusion filters in front of the Lens...

Have fun!

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

Oh Dave, I may need to usurp some of those ideas.

#5 justinmaynard

justinmaynard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Electrician
  • Tupelo, MS

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

Wow, David, those are some really sweet ideas. My only worry with that is going to be controlling the light. This is an ultra low budg shoot and its pretty much just me as far as camera and g&e goes. So, my concern with that is having time to really tweak and control the light. But I really want to try that and see how it looks.

The shoot is a short, with this location being where most of the action takes place. In the scene the prisoner is a guy who harmed the visitors daughter, the prisoner is on death row and it all takes place during the last few hours of his life. So the father is trying to talk to the prisoner and understand him and kinda get past all of his built up anger... that's the jist.

I am not trying to do anything crazy, I just want it to be more interesting the drab overhead lighting without completely losing that feel. I am concerned about it looking too flat. So anything I can do to spice it up I want to try.

I really appreciate all of the advice guys, and I apologize for not giving enough information in my first post.

#6 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:49 AM

You are welcome.. theoretically, once the Lamps are set you should be able to shoot shoot shoot with little or no adjustments... taking a little time to light the Set for both directions (Talent), could save you a ton off time in the long run... Directors and Actors love that... to be able to shoot shoot shoot without light tweaking breaks between shots... this way, you should be able to bounce from one side to the other without re-lighting and you'll have little or no reflections in the glass... just watch for those backlights.

btw.. if the table is white you will have a built in bounce card for their Fill... or you could place a piece of white showcard on the table as a return for those overhead 2Ks. Also, using Snoots on the 2Ks can save you a lot of time controlling the light. I love Snoots! :wub:

If you don't already own this book... get it asap FILM LIGHTING by Malkiewicz.

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

I agree with David, though i still think it could be nice to hang 1 flo tube over each side of the glass for a bit of blue/green look. Might add a good sense of chroma to the scene, and some "longing." But that's just my take.
BTW, David, you push that book so much you ought get a commission ;)
Seriously, though, order it. It's a great and not too heavy read.

#8 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:46 AM

I like that Adrian.. I would look at that as well... that could give a more industrial, subterranean feel. One centered over the glass may be enough.

ok.. that scene is lit.. what's next?

I'll meet you at craft service Adrian... wait,, where is craft service... hey, this IS a lo/no budget show Justin!... I should have brought my lunch pail :lol:

#9 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hey don't knock the lo/no craft; I once got a home cooked meal on one of those shoots. Beat the hell out of the hard muffins I've had in certain phila studios....

#10 justinmaynard

justinmaynard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Electrician
  • Tupelo, MS

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

Thanks again guys. And no I don't have that book. I will get it for sure though. I have Matters Of Light and Depth, and of course the Boxx book. I really think that the flo overhead will be a nice addition. I am going to try to get them to rent me 2 kinos.

Yeah is lo budg but they better be providing me a good vegetarian friendly meal and some crafty... hahaha...

Thanks

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam