jordan murphy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • yakima WA

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

hi im jordan, im new to the whole film industry and am hoping to get some advice from those who have a lot of knowledge. right now im just using my moms hand held camera to film my stuff. i know i know go ahead and get your laughs. i hate it i feel like a total dork filming with is. i want to get a new camera bad! what is the best camera for the money. i am looking at canon xl1 because i can get it for cheap!!! how are the settings? will i be able to do alot? please tell me as much as possible. i also need to know what accesories are a must.

right now i a in the process of making a short documentry on motocross. i really hope to start making some short films and eventually a full length movie. i have what i feel to be a great idea for a feature length movie but i thing it would take a major production team and budget to get it done right!

please help me out with anything you can. any info on anything is much appreciated. i also wouldnt mind some hints on how to get involved in the movie industry...

thank you guys a million :)

#2 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:26 AM

Hi Jordan,

You might be better off posting such a question in the Students and First time Film Makers section instead of here.

#3 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

You'll look more professional going around with an XL1 with it's size and shoulder mount, but I would personally go for a Panasonic DVX-100. The features are better and it has better manual control, the one big plus that it has over the XL1 when shooting documentaries is it's focus ring. The XL1 has an infinity zoom where the ring will just keep spinning and spinning much longer after you've passed the min and max, and most importantly the marks aren't repeatable. The DVX-100's focus ring is repeatable making it easier to keep subjects in focus when doing standing interviews and such.

I also like the XLR ports on the DVX-100 a lot better since they're right on the body, while you have to use another mount on the butt of the XL1 and then connect some wires into the rear of the body to be able to use XLR ports.

Welcome to the board.

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

I like the XL1 (preferably XL2 for its 24p capability) for its lens, at least. The DVX is great, but I usually look for lens quality the most when considering DV or HD cameras.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

I personally prefer the Sony EX series... but that might be dramatically out of your price range... a used DVX or XL will be a great learning tool, but look at it as such not a money-maker (at first). Also if you want to get into filmmaking, see if you can't find a nice used bolex 16mm camera and shoot some daylight spools. As once was said to me, and I thoroughly believe this, if you can properly expose reversal film (especially black and white!) then you can expose anything!

#6 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

I personally prefer the Sony EX series...

I was trying to stay relevant to his budget. But yeah, I really like the EX for its lens as well, there's still much to be desired, but it's a great camera.

And it's indeed true. I don't think I TRULY understood the term "exposure" until I started shooting film. Getting a cheap fully manual 35mm SLR still camera is another great way to learn.

#7 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, an EX would be amazing since it has a full manual lens.

And I agree with Jonathan, get a 35mm still camera and a couple lenses for cheap off of Craigslist or something and you will learn a lot.

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:04 PM

If you play your cards right on CL you can even get some cameras for free/trade. (I'm talking still SLRs here)

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

Hey, why not start out right and learn right. Go with a 16mm camera. Get a Beaulieu 16R or an Arri S. Film is only intimidating because you don't know anything about it yet. 16mm film is relatively cheap and the processing is far less than you might imagine plus the pictures you get are amazing. There is nothing wrong with the Canon, but even now, the technology is already obsolete. Film is the way to learn professional habits that will stay with you no matter what format you shoot on in the future. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 10 February 2009 - 02:17 AM.

#10 jordan murphy

jordan murphy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • yakima WA

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hey, why not start out right and learn right. Go with a 16mm camera. Get a Beaulieu 16R or an Arri S. Film is only intimidating because you don't know anything about it yet. 16mm film is relatively cheap and the processing is far less than you might imagine plus the pictures you get are amazing. There is nothing wrong with the Canon, but even now, the technology is already obsolete. Film is the way to learn professional habits that will stay with you no matter what format you shoot on in the future. B)

hey thank you so much i really appreciate the help :) all of you guys really helped me out thank you so much!

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

The Slider