bob black

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

Hi all,

Im a photographer very new to super8, I purchased a Canon Autozoom 814 and 10 cartridges of Kodak Vision3 500T/7219 for a project. So now Im sitting in a remote area in Asia and finally got around to reading the manual! I notice this camera is not compatible with film speeds higher than 250 ASA, am I screwed? I cant get any other film where I am.

I was planning on shooting in 'auto'. Does this mean my film will be underexposed? Does the negative have the dynamic range to accurately compensate for the underexposure? Can the lab push the exposure to bring it out? Will this result in more grain? Am I just freaking out over nothing? :)

Sorry for all the questions, any help would be very appreciated

Many thanks in advance

B

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

Im a photographer very new to super8, I purchased a Canon Autozoom 814 and 10 cartridges of Kodak Vision3 500T/7219 for a project. So now Im sitting in a remote area in Asia and finally got around to reading the manual! I notice this camera is not compatible with film speeds higher than 250 ASA, am I screwed? I cant get any other film where I am.

I was planning on shooting in 'auto'. Does this mean my film will be underexposed? Does the negative have the dynamic range to accurately compensate for the underexposure? Can the lab push the exposure to bring it out? Will this result in more grain? Am I just freaking out over nothing? :)

Hi Bob,

if your camera is set 250 ISO and you use 500 ISO film you'll overexpose your film by one stop. That's no problem for modern negative stocks. What's happening here is, albeit too a lesser extend, done by many people here on the boards. Rating 500T at 320 ISO as many do will help tighten your grain and you're just taking that a little bit further by 'rating' it at 250. But I have no idea if your camera will recognize your film cartridge correctly, I'll leave that to be answered by the Super8 buffs around here. OTOH you could just use an exposure meter or a still (D)SLR to meter and use the camera in manual mode. IMO that's much preferable as you can set your exposure deliberately where you want it and not accept what the camera thinks is correct for your scene.

Cheers, Dave

#3 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

All is not lost.

Yes, the 814 only meters up to ASA 250, which means that with the notchless 'daylight' cartridge that Kodak packs the VISION stocks in, the meter will be set to ASA 160.

Solution? There are two. Either cut a filter notch in the cartridge so that the camera's filter pin will not be pushed in, or just compensate for the auto-reading by closing down the aperture manually about a stop more than what it indicates.

If you cut a notch, the meter will be set for ASA 250. That's fine for V500. Kodak prefers it 'overexposed' at this speed.

Edited by Jim Carlile, 14 February 2009 - 01:29 AM.

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Opal