marcelo kron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Brasil

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hi guys !

I'd like to know it there is any kind of wireless video assist for small DV cameras where the camera transmitter has its own battery and it's small enough to fit on the camera handle.

i don't need to transmit too far...

regards
marcelo kron

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

There are various tiny little devices for this, mainly operating around 2.4GHz. They tend to have a fairly short reliable range when used on a moving object, because moving around disrupts high frequencies more than it would a lower, more conventional UHF signal. Try a Google search like this.

They're cheap and easy to use, but I suspect you'd end up with a power problem. Most of the types I've seen require 5 or 12V power, and the batteries on your camera, even if you can get access to them, are likely to be 7.2V.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to hook up some sort of regulator arrangement for it, but it depends how much you want to get into electronics.

P

#3 marcelo kron

marcelo kron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Brasil

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

There are various tiny little devices for this, mainly operating around 2.4GHz. They tend to have a fairly short reliable range when used on a moving object, because moving around disrupts high frequencies more than it would a lower, more conventional UHF signal. Try a Google search like this.

They're cheap and easy to use, but I suspect you'd end up with a power problem. Most of the types I've seen require 5 or 12V power, and the batteries on your camera, even if you can get access to them, are likely to be 7.2V.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to hook up some sort of regulator arrangement for it, but it depends how much you want to get into electronics.

P

Thanks Phil! I made a search and i found this http://www.flex-cam.com/TX500B%20.html do you think this is a good one? you already saw something similar?

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

Most of those things are built around mass-produced electronic modules and have broadly comparable performance (to wit: not very good). That one's quite expensive, but it's been packaged up nicely with batteries and so forth.

I'm sure it'll be fine. You might be able to improve performance by using better antennae than the ones it comes with. Usually, it's OK to do this on the receiver, and you can do it on the transmitter side if you're willing to skirt the boundaries of legality. You can use antennae and accessories designed for wireless ethernet, although check connector compatibility as there was some effort to stop people doing this - you can get adaptors to solve the problem. This does mean that you can use a yagi or parabolic antenna on the receiver, which will massively improve performance at the expense of needing to keep the antenna manually aimed at the transmitter.

P

#5 marcelo kron

marcelo kron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Brasil

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

Yes Phil, this is quite expensive one... I will try to find something similar here were i live in Sao Paulo, Brazil... thanks for the help I appreciate

regards
MarceloKron.com.br

#6 Marque DeWinter

Marque DeWinter
  • Sustaining Members
  • 117 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • New York

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

Yes Phil, this is quite expensive one... I will try to find something similar here were i live in Sao Paulo, Brazil... thanks for the help I appreciate

regards
MarceloKron.com.br

Try Markertek...they tend to have high power 2.4ghz transmitters that are cheaper.... I had one I used for a few days, it was ok, not a canatrans but for $300 vs. $5000 it was worth it.

~Marque

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets