2 replies to this topic

#1 Alain Lumina

Alain Lumina
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Director

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

I'm not going to make a defense-- I watched too much Noir.

My girlfriend was not amused- "Can we watch Roswell?", but it gets worse:

I want to make one, too. So I found out two-perf is the cheapest way to get the look, see. And my girl ain't too fatale, but when I buy that 10-20k cam, the heat's going to come down-but good.

I've gotta have a story, see?- a story to fend her off with until the dough shows.

JOE
I bought this 16k camera modified by this guy in australia to shoot a film noir feature."
( edges backwards. Dish flies by)
I can rent it out, babe!

So I'm trying to find out-- Mr. McNaughton sent me some prices on 2-perf conversions-- I think I can get a decent sound camera with lens for under 20k.

So which one should I get so's I can rent it out between flying dishes?

And how, besides having genius lighting and DP, can I get those soaking saturated blacks?

Thanks, now I gotta go. If you don't hear from me, my script is under the garbage can in back. With the Airweight on top.

If you don't see me, it means I didn't get to it quick enough.

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

Um just outta curiosity, why do you have to spend 20K to get a sound camera? There's a NICE BL-2 on Ebay right now going for 75 hundred with a lens package, Russian Kinor packages routinely go for 5 to 10k complete and you could probably rent an older package for maybe 3 grand a week. Figuring a 14 day shoot, that's 6 grand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=290295751375
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=120369375542
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=390028062360

The money you save would let you shoot 4 perf or you could spend the 2 to 4 grand to have one of these cameras converted to 2 perf and still be money ahead. Although, I've never seen a 'scope Noir. They are almost invariably academy or in the case of modern Noir, wide-screen so the techniscope movement and aspect ratio wouldn't be all that conducive to a Noir style if you were to convert to anything, 3 perf would probably work best.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

Location...Location...Location.

If you were to live in Burbank or Brooklyn any camera and gear decision would have a totally different dimension. In major production centers there are rental houses that rent older gear dirt cheap, DP's who own good camera packages, etc. Steve is in El Paso, if he ever was to rent anything it would have to come from a long way off, if he lived at the West 57th Street Holiday Inn in NYC he could walk to Arri CSC.

I live in OKC, the nearest rental house is in Dallas, I'm extremely fortunate in that there's a really good grip company in OKC that's well equipped and can supply just about anything you need. As a result I own camera gear but fortunately don't have to own a lot of grip gear. Jon Shryrock's got everything I might need all the way up to a 30' remote head Jib. Jon's also an experienced Key Grip and Gaffer and really understands his gear.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera