#1 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hai guise, I'm having some doubt with a shot for a little film, maybe you could help me: The scene is about a person who is lying on the street and then run over by a car. We have the shot of the guy lying on the street and are planning to shoot the car, and the guy after he has been run over, since we haven't shot that, I'm still flexible to the choice of shots. Since we do not have a shot of the moment the person is run over, I have to edit around it, so to speak. I was considering something like a shot of the car approaching, then from the inside the moment when the guy is run over, by driving over a rock or something, and then cut to the person already run over. What do you say?

#2 Jim Hyslop

Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

That could work. Another very effective technique would be to cut away to a reaction shot of a bystander - either someone actually seeing the event, or someone who hears the noise and turns to see what happened.

Do not underestimate the power of good sound effects combined with the viewers' imaginations!

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hai Guise?

Muy creativo.

You are in the right track about "cutitng around" the actual event. Never underestimate the power of people's imagination. Sometimes what you don't show is as powerful as what you do show. Very few movies benefit from the Hollywood high-octane, mega-stunt, in-your-face pyrotechnics treatment.

#4 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

Hey thanks to both, the bystander Idea is awesome, I'm definitely going to do that!

#5 Shubham Kasera

Shubham Kasera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • mumbai, india

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

Hey thanks to both, the bystander Idea is awesome, I'm definitely going to do that!

how about not showing the side where you can see the face of the actor run over and then placing a dummy wearing the same thing on the other side with some blood packs which will burst when car runs over it? maybe it could work as well, giving some realism to the frame

however if showing the run-over part is not important, then the reaction shots works the best, building up the suspense

cheers

shubham

#6 Nick Centera

Nick Centera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • San Diego

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:34 PM

Hey, I do not know if you are going shoot anymore but, if you do or can, you should check out this tutorial on videocopilot.net. I do not know what kind of software you have, but if you do have Aftereffects, then this tutorial will give you are great car hit. here is the link to the tutorial http://www.videocopi...vanced_car_hit/ I hope that it all works out for you.

Visual Products

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC